Do those circuit combinations have a name in English?

In summary, the conversation is about how to translate the German words "stromrichtig" and "spannungsrichtig" into English, which mean "current correct" and "voltage correct" respectively. The conversation also discusses the use of these terms in a circuit to calibrate ammeters and voltmeters, and the lack of commonly used English equivalents for these terms.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! I know, it's a strange question... Problem is that I'm searching how to translate the german words "stromrichtig" and "spannungsrichtig" ("current correct" and "voltage correct" literally) in English. Any idea? Do they even have a name in English? And if not, how would you describe them with the minimum amount of words?

Homework Equations

I have attached a picture with the corresponding circuit combinations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how such word would be translated in English. I've googled it but found nothing reliable. In a paper of Siemens in English, they use the words spannungsrichtig and stromrichtig directly, but since it is a German company I am not sure I can do that as well.

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions.Julien.

Attachments

• Apparatus_2.png
    Apparatus_2.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they are used to calibrate the meters.
Fig a) is calibration of ammeter while fig b) is calibration of voltmeter.

Likes JulienB
The images appear to be demonstrating the correct method for placing a voltmeter and an ammeter for measuring the voltage and current for a resistor in a circuit consisting of a voltage source and load resistor. The idea is to avoid including any influence that the "other" measuring instrument has on the desired quantity to be measured.

I'm not aware of any particular English language equivalent terms that are commonly used for these concepts. You could invent your own, say "proper voltage" and "proper current" and define them before use.

Likes CWatters and JulienB
Hi @gneill @cnh1995 and thank you very much for your answers! I think that pretty answered my question. :)

Julien.

1. What is the purpose of naming circuit combinations in English?

Naming circuit combinations in English allows for standardized communication among scientists and engineers, making it easier to discuss and understand complex circuit designs.

2. How are circuit combinations named in English?

Circuit combinations are typically named based on their main components or functions, such as "series circuit" or "parallel circuit."

3. Are there specific rules or guidelines for naming circuit combinations in English?

There are no strict rules for naming circuit combinations in English, but it is important to use clear and concise names that accurately describe the circuit's components and function.

4. Can circuit combinations have multiple names in English?

Yes, a circuit combination may have multiple names in English depending on the context and the person naming it. It is important to clarify which name is being used to avoid confusion.

5. Are circuit combinations named differently in other languages?

Yes, circuit combinations may have different names in other languages, as different cultures may have different ways of categorizing and naming circuits. However, there are often equivalents or translations to the English names.