1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do those circuit combinations have a name in English?

1. Dec 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! I know, it's a strange question... Problem is that I'm searching how to translate the german words "stromrichtig" and "spannungsrichtig" ("current correct" and "voltage correct" literally) in English. Any idea? Do they even have a name in English? And if not, how would you describe them with the minimum amount of words?

2. Relevant equations

I have attached a picture with the corresponding circuit combinations.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how such word would be translated in English. I've googled it but found nothing reliable. In a paper of Siemens in English, they use the words spannungsrichtig and stromrichtig directly, but since it is a German company I am not sure I can do that as well.

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions.

Julien.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I think they are used to calibrate the meters.
    Fig a) is calibration of ammeter while fig b) is calibration of voltmeter.

4. Dec 12, 2016 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The images appear to be demonstrating the correct method for placing a voltmeter and an ammeter for measuring the voltage and current for a resistor in a circuit consisting of a voltage source and load resistor. The idea is to avoid including any influence that the "other" measuring instrument has on the desired quantity to be measured.

I'm not aware of any particular English language equivalent terms that are commonly used for these concepts. You could invent your own, say "proper voltage" and "proper current" and define them before use.

5. Dec 12, 2016 #4
    Hi @gneill @cnh1995 and thank you very much for your answers! I think that pretty answered my question. :)

Julien.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted