Do two perpendicular wires exert a force on each other?

In summary: So the wire will not exert a force on the other wire perpendicular to it.In summary, the question involves a straight wire with current and a rectangular wire with current to the right of the wire. The question is whether the straight wire exerts a force on the parts of the rectangular wire perpendicular to it. By using the equation ##F_m=I\Delta l \times B## and considering the direction of the force acting on the opposite ends of the rectangle, it can be concluded that the wire will not exert a force on the other wire perpendicular to it.
Zack K
I have a question for my E&M assignment (I'm not putting it in the homework thread since I just need more of a concept check) that involves a straight wire with current through it. If you have a wire with a current through it, and you have a rectangular wire also with current, to the right of the wire.

Does the straight wire exert a force on the parts of the rectangular wire perpendicular to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zack K said:
I have a question for my E&M assignment (I'm not putting it in the homework thread since I just need more of a concept check) that involves a straight wire with current through it. If you have a wire with a current through it, and you have a rectangular wire also with current, to the right of the wire.

Does the straight wire exert a force on the parts of the rectangular wire perpendicular to it?

You should know by now how this forum works. You have to offer what you know and what you have already attempted.

Assuming that you know how to take the cross product of vectors, and you know how that applies to this situation, do that for each segment of the wire. The segments in question should have a force acting on each part, but look at the direction of the force acting on the opposite ends of the rectangle.

Zz

ZapperZ said:
You should know by now how this forum works. You have to offer what you know and what you have already attempted.

Assuming that you know how to take the cross product of vectors, and you know how that applies to this situation, do that for each segment of the wire. The segments in question should have a force acting on each part, but look at the direction of the force acting on the opposite ends of the rectangle.

Zz
Right I see, since you have ##F_m=I\Delta l \times B##, it will be 0.

1. How do two perpendicular wires exert a force on each other?

Two perpendicular wires exert a force on each other through the interaction of their electric currents. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The magnetic field from one wire interacts with the magnetic field from the other wire, resulting in a force between the two wires.

2. What is the direction of the force between two perpendicular wires?

The direction of the force between two perpendicular wires is perpendicular to both wires. This means that the force acts in a direction that is perpendicular to the direction of the electric currents flowing through the wires.

3. How does the distance between the wires affect the force?

The force between two perpendicular wires is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the force decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases.

4. Can the force between two perpendicular wires be attractive?

Yes, the force between two perpendicular wires can be either attractive or repulsive. This depends on the direction of the electric currents flowing through the wires. If the currents are flowing in the same direction, the force will be attractive. If the currents are flowing in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

5. What is the mathematical equation for calculating the force between two perpendicular wires?

The mathematical equation for calculating the force between two perpendicular wires is F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2 * π * d), where F is the force in Newtons, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.