Does alcohol play a role in starting wars?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, alcohol has played a significant role in world history, particularly in the decision making of world leaders. Many leaders from history were heavy drinkers, which could have influenced their decisions. Even those who did not drink heavily may have not been drinking the right amount, as referenced by the Discovery Europe documentary "Altered Statesmen". Drugs, particularly methamphetamines, have also played a role in history. However, alcohol can also have positive effects, such as calming nerves. Overall, alcohol has had a great impact on both small and large events throughout history.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Obviously not all wars come from drinking alcohol. But in this light, I have often wondered what contribution alcohol may have made to world history. How many world leaders have made world class decisions using alcohol laden brains? Consider the state that booze brings to the consumer - aggressive and one lacking good judgment. Does an intoxicated person consider the big picture?

Many leaders from history were heavy drinkers. How could this not be a significant factor in the big decisions?

Physics news on Phys.org
And as for the others, they don't drink enough. Whichever one it is, we all know that they aren't drinking exactly the right amount ...

That's if they weren't taking heavier stuff like benzadrine.
Is this inspired by the recent Discovery Europe documentary "Altered Statesmen"?

Originally posted by Sonty
That's if they weren't taking heavier stuff like benzadrine.
Is this inspired by the recent Discovery Europe documentary "Altered Statesmen"?

I first considered this after watching my behavior and the behavior of friends change when we drank [long ago]. However, that Hitler and his troops were taking methamphetamines explains a lot...what a revelation! I would bet that drugs and alcohol, but especially alcohol have played a great role in history.

Just in simple things alcohol has played a great factor.

An example, my early days of motorcycling. My dad was an average rider. Give him a shot or 4 of Jack Daniels and he was Jeremy McGrath.

Alcohol can be usefull, and really, as FZ said, they weren't taking the right amount.

A small amount to calm nerves can actually prove beneficial, especcially when nervousness is up.

So I'm sure if it affects little things in pretty much everyones lifes, it's also affected larger scaled things thru history.

Anyway, Bush at least is (now) a teetotaler.

1. What is the connection between alcohol and war?

There is no clear and direct link between alcohol consumption and the outbreak of war. However, alcohol can contribute to certain factors that may lead to war, such as impaired decision-making, increased aggression, and lowered inhibitions.

2. Does alcohol play a role in causing conflicts?

Alcohol can exacerbate existing tensions and contribute to the escalation of conflicts. It can also fuel impulsive and reckless behavior, which can lead to violent confrontations and ultimately result in war.

3. Do soldiers consume alcohol during wars?

It is not uncommon for soldiers to consume alcohol during wars, especially in times of stress or as a means of coping with the traumatic experiences of combat. However, excessive alcohol consumption can impair their ability to perform their duties effectively and put themselves and others at risk.

4. Is there a historical link between alcohol and war?

Throughout history, alcohol has been used as a means of boosting soldiers' morale and courage. It has also been used to celebrate victories and cope with the horrors of war. However, it is difficult to determine the exact extent of alcohol's influence on the causes and outcomes of wars.

5. Can limiting alcohol consumption prevent wars?

While limiting alcohol consumption may help reduce certain risk factors associated with war, it is unlikely to be the sole solution for preventing wars. Other underlying causes, such as political, economic, and social factors, must also be addressed to achieve lasting peace.