Do we lose weight by respiration ? (Losing carbons)

• Thread starter Astra-Rudra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, when we take in oxygen, we give out carbon dioxide as a byproduct. This process of burning fuel for energy results in weight loss, with most of the mass being lost in the form of carbon dioxide. However, the amount of weight loss from this process is very small and insignificant compared to other factors such as sweating and breathing out water vapor.
Astra-Rudra
We take in Oxygen (O2) & give Carbon dioxide (CO2) .
Say a guy somehow does not digest any food or fat for 5 min .. So will lose weight equal to all the "C" lost from his body in that 5 min ??

Biology news on Phys.org
I recall having heard this story once (I'm going to abuse your thread to check whether it was actually true :-)) about someone who actually performed the experiment.
He constructed a very accurate scale, and sat on it for 24 hours. All the changes in his mass were accurately recorded: how much food and water he took in, how much he sweat, urinated, ... At the end there was a small amount of mass actually missing from the balance. Allegedly, this was due to the fact of him breathing out more mass than he breathed in (namely, one molecule of C for every oxygen molecule).

I actually wonder whether this story can be true (I suppose that the mass you lose in C-molecules is really, really, REALLY very tiny, possibly smaller than the uncertainties in your other measurements, like sweat excretion).

It does contribute however, so if you wanted to make it really accurate, you would at least have to include this effect (based on an average lung volume, respiration rate, etc) you would be able to estimate this effect.

thx .. i have no interest on losing weight .. lol .. just wanted to know . thx

Did a quick-and-dirty calculation, based on the following data:

* 7,5 litres of air per minute (source, fig 1)
* air weighs 28.97 g/mol (source) of which 20.95 % vol is O2 (source)
* for every 5 molecules of O2 one molecule of C is exhaled (i.e. 20% of the O2 is converted to CO2 - could not find a source for this so it's a wild guess)
* C weighs in at 12,01 grams per mole
* all other properties of the air (non O2-components, density, moistness / saturation) are unchanged

According to my rusty chemistry, punching in this numbers, you lose a little under 1 gram every 5 minutes, as long as you breathe. Since all the calculations are linear, it's easy to adjust for changes (e.g. if you want to convert all the O2, multiply by 5; if you want to double the intake of air volume, multiply by 2, etc.)

Note that 1 gram, is also 1 ml of water. So although the number is not as small as I suspected, you probably lose more weight water every minute (through breathing in dry air and breathing out damp air, as well as sweating) than in C every 5 minutes :P

You are right though, if you wanted to lose weight, this would be a bad way to start :P

Well when we think of losing weight, we think of burning calories. When we convert fuel (carbohydrates and fat) into energy, we produce carbon dioxide and water. For example, for glucose:

C6H12O6 + 6O2 --> 6H2O + 6CO2

Now most of the mass of the water produced comes from oxygen (during oxidative phosphorylation, hydride ions are transferred to oxygen to produce water). So, by this logic, when we are burning calories, most of the mass of the mass of the fuel molecules is going away as carbon dioxide!

There is definitely a difference in the weight of the change, but it is probably too small for measure or significance.

Ygggdrasil said:
Well when we think of losing weight, we think of burning calories. When we convert fuel (carbohydrates and fat) into energy, we produce carbon dioxide and water. For example, for glucose:

C6H12O6 + 6O2 --> 6H2O + 6CO2

Now most of the mass of the water produced comes from oxygen (during oxidative phosphorylation, hydride ions are transferred to oxygen to produce water). So, by this logic, when we are burning calories, most of the mass of the mass of the fuel molecules is going away as carbon dioxide!

I thought this conclusion was common knowledge. We are in effect, "burning" our food as fuel. Whatever we don't excrete out the back or build fat and proteins with we breathe out as "exhaust".

1. Do we lose weight by breathing?

Yes, we do lose weight by breathing. When we inhale, we take in oxygen which is used to break down carbohydrates and fats in our body. This process, known as cellular respiration, produces energy and releases carbon dioxide as a byproduct. The carbon dioxide is then exhaled out of our body, resulting in weight loss.

2. How much weight do we lose through respiration?

The amount of weight we lose through respiration varies depending on factors such as our metabolism, physical activity, and diet. On average, a person exhales about 200 grams of carbon dioxide per day, which is equivalent to about 0.44 pounds of weight loss.

3. Can we lose weight by increasing our breathing rate?

No, increasing our breathing rate will not directly lead to weight loss. While deep breathing exercises and physical activities that increase our heart rate can help burn calories, the majority of weight loss through respiration is a result of our body's natural metabolic processes.

4. Does the type of food we eat affect weight loss through respiration?

Yes, the type of food we eat can affect weight loss through respiration. Foods high in carbohydrates and fats require more oxygen to break down, resulting in a higher rate of respiration and potential weight loss. However, this does not mean that we should solely rely on respiration for weight loss, as a balanced and healthy diet is crucial for overall health and weight management.

5. Is respiration the only way we lose weight?

No, respiration is not the only way we lose weight. Our body also loses weight through other processes such as sweating, urination, and bowel movements. Additionally, regular physical activity and maintaining a healthy diet are important factors in weight loss and overall health.