Do you have an edition of Hamlet at hand?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary, Horatio is speaking to Marcellus about the Ghost's recent appearances. He mentions that he has forfeited all of his lands to the conqueror, and that a moiety of them were gagged by our King. He also mentions that if he had been the victor, he would have given them back to Fortinbras. Finally, he talks about the article that was delivered to him and its location. He reveals that it was designed to be found at Project Gutenberg.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
Long story short: I had some. I had to donate them. I don't want to buy them again if I don't need them. I only need a few lines right now. It's perfectly kosher, IMHO. So...

If anyone has a version other than the First Folio or Second Quarto, I'll grant you one wish if you tell me what it says within the question marks:

Did forfeit (with his life) all ?these/those? his lands
Which he stood seized ?of/on?, to the conqueror.
Against the which a moiety competent
Was gagEd by our King, which had ?returned/return?
To the inheritance of Fortinbras,
Had he been vanquisher; as by the same ?compart/compact/Cov’nant?
And carriage of the article ?design/designed?
To locate it: This is Horatio speaking to Marcellus in Act I, Scene I, after the Ghost has entered and exited for the first time. It's a rather long speech, which begins with "That can I. At least the whisper goes so...", and you may find it around line #105. It'll be on the first page or two, so you can just scan for the first lengthy speech.

If you have an annotated edition and there are notes about this part, I would love it if you could give me the details regarding the options in question. This would be extremely helpful, because I want to make an informed decision.

Thanks so much. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My copy gives:

Did forfeit (with his life) all those his lands
Which he stood seized of to the conqueror.
Against the which a moiety competent
Was gagEd by our King, which had returned
To the inheritance of Fortinbras,
Had he been vanquisher; as by the same cov’nant

My edition: Shakespeare made easy :blushing:

http://www.shakespearefellowship.org/virtualclassroom/Law/legalhamlet/act1-1.htm [Broken]

Google is your friend. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Doc Al. I just realized that I had forgotten a line, but don't worry about it, I bet that your says "design'd" anyway. :smile: (You have one wish.)

TheStatutoryApe said:
http://www.shakespearefellowship.org/virtualclassroom/Law/legalhamlet/act1-1.htm [Broken]

Google is your friend. :smile:
O, the shame. I thought I was the Google Queen. :redface: You rock, mister Ape! :biggrin:
Okay, I'll use this site later, so it's a big help. It addresses the comart issue, but not the others. I kind of wanted comart to be a typo of compart, which meant to divide into parts. This fits with carriage, the administration of those parts:
as by the same compart and carriage of the article design(ed),
as by the same division and admistration (of lands) of the article design(ed)​
which is what the compact did. It has the right rhythm too. Bah, I want all the choices not mentioned so far.

I still would like a variety of sources on this one. It is giving me problems.

honestrosewater said:
I bet that your says "design'd" anyway.
Yep, the next line is:
And carriage of the article designed,​

Doc Al said:
Yep, the next line is:
And carriage of the article designed,​
And design'd is in neither F1 nor Q2! It's design in both! They just changed it for some reason. :rolleyes:

dduardo said:
Project Gutenberg is your friend:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1524

They have a huge collection of ebooks in all types of formats.
Thanks, I love PG but wasn't familiar with the Collins Edition. This is crazy - between the editions, transcriptions of the editions, and facsimiles, I'm going to have over a dozen tabs open at once. They get hard to keep track of after a while. :yuck:

1. What is the edition of Hamlet that you have at hand?

The edition of Hamlet that I have at hand is the original Folio edition, published in 1623.

2. Is this edition a modern or old version of Hamlet?

This edition is considered an old version of Hamlet, as it was published in the 17th century.

3. Does this edition include any annotations or footnotes?

No, this edition does not include any annotations or footnotes. It is a faithful reproduction of the original text.

4. Are there any differences between this edition and more recent versions?

Yes, there may be some differences between this edition and more recent versions. The original text has been edited and revised over the years, so there may be variations in spelling, punctuation, and even some lines of dialogue.

5. Is this edition considered the most accurate version of Hamlet?

It is generally considered the most accurate version of Hamlet, as it was published during Shakespeare's lifetime and is believed to have been overseen by him. However, some scholars argue that later editions may be more accurate due to the advancements in printing technology and the discovery of new source materials.