Younger vs Older Internship Applicants: What You Need to Know

• Schools
  • Thread starter annoyinggirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, it is not true that employers prefer younger internship applicants, and this is not a common practice in most fields of study. Internships are most commonly obtained during junior and senior years of college, and it is unlikely that a company would reject an applicant solely based on their age.
annoyinggirl
Do younger college internship applicants have an advantage over older applicants?
My cousin told me that it is important to look for internships early (when you are a freshman or sophomore), because employers prefer interns to be younger. My cousin said that it is because they want to keep and teach you things for a long time. Is that true? Or does this apply to only some fields such as computer science,which is quite competitive and age-discriminative? I won't be able to apply for internships until my junior year or something because I have to attend a community college, which offers few to no internships. I'm considering a career in the field of Neuroscience. Do internships in that field of study tend to prefer younger internship applicants?

Physics news on Phys.org
annoyinggirl said:
Do younger college internship applicants have an advantage over older applicants?
My cousin told me that it is important to look for internships early (when you are a freshman or sophomore), because employers prefer interns to be younger. My cousin said that it is because they want to keep and teach you things for a long time. Is that true? Or does this apply to only some fields such as computer science,which is quite competitive and age-discriminative? I won't be able to apply for internships until my junior year or something because I have to attend a community college, which offers few to no internships. I'm considering a career in the field of Neuroscience. Do internships in that field of study tend to prefer younger internship applicants?

Your cousin is wrong. In all the organizations where I've worked by far the peak time to get an internship was between your junior and senior year. It's actually tough to get an internship after your sophomore year because you just haven't had enough classes.

I know that with the navy they won't accept nuclear engineers because they want to teach them their way, he might be thinking about that.

carlgrace said:
Your cousin is wrong. In all the organizations where I've worked by far the peak time to get an internship was between your junior and senior year. It's actually tough to get an internship after your sophomore year because you just haven't had enough classes.

Thank you for telling me that. To clear all confusion, you meant "before" instead of "after", right? Thanks again. :smile:

Sjm757 said:
I know that with the navy they won't accept nuclear engineers because they want to teach them their way, he might be thinking about that.

Nope, she's not in the navy and is not familiar with it. My other cousin (they're sisters) told me that she lost her internship position because another applicant was younger than she was, and the younger applicant got it.

annoyinggirl said:
Thank you for telling me that. To clear all confusion, you meant "before" instead of "after", right? Thanks again. :smile:

I actually meant it is harder to get an internship for the summer after your sophomore year than it is to get one for the summer after your junior year. That is why I am highly dubious that any companies prefer younger interns.

annoyinggirl said:
Nope, she's not in the navy and is not familiar with it. My other cousin (they're sisters) told me that she lost her internship position because another applicant was younger than she was, and the younger applicant got it.

My guess is she lost the internship for another reason. I think it is incredibly unlikely the company would have told your cousin they didn't choose her because she was too old because that would open them up to legal action.

1. How does age impact an internship applicant's chances of getting hired?

Age can impact an internship applicant's chances of getting hired in several ways. Some employers may have a bias towards younger applicants, believing that they are more tech-savvy and open to learning new skills. On the other hand, some employers may prefer older applicants who have more experience and maturity. Ultimately, it depends on the specific employer and their preferences.

2. Are older internship applicants at a disadvantage compared to younger applicants?

It is not necessarily true that older internship applicants are at a disadvantage compared to younger applicants. While they may face age-related biases, older applicants also have valuable experience and skills that can make them stand out. It is important for older applicants to highlight their relevant experience and showcase their adaptability and willingness to learn.

3. Are there any laws protecting internship applicants from age discrimination?

Yes, there are laws in place to protect internship applicants from age discrimination. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) prohibits employers from discriminating against individuals who are 40 years or older based on their age. This applies to all stages of the employment process, including internships.

4. How can an older internship applicant address potential age-related biases during the application process?

An older internship applicant can address potential age-related biases by highlighting their relevant skills and experience in their resume and cover letter. They can also mention their adaptability and willingness to learn new skills. Networking and connecting with professionals in the field can also help to showcase their abilities and make a positive impression on potential employers.

5. Is it beneficial for an internship program to have a diverse mix of younger and older applicants?

Yes, it can be highly beneficial for an internship program to have a diverse mix of younger and older applicants. This can bring a variety of perspectives and experiences to the program, leading to a more dynamic and enriching learning environment. Additionally, having a diverse mix of applicants can help to combat age-related biases and promote inclusivity in the workplace.