Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Documentaries on Discovery Channel

1. Jun 21, 2013 #1
    Hi everybody! I would like to ask you two things. Some months ago i watched some documentaries on Discovery Channel but i don't remember the title! I can only remember that they was talking about p-brame theory and that some physicists wasn't able to describe it! And in anther they were talking about three physicists on a train that invent (i think) a new theory of physics.
    Maybe it was "Through the Wormhole", but i don't really know...
    Can anybody help me? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2013 #2

Physics_UG

Gold Member

lol, "p-brane" theory

4. Jun 21, 2013 #3
    Sorry! I'm on a Mac...

5. Jun 21, 2013 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh, I saw that, it's what I call a screamer. I remember the physicists on a train. It's about Hollographic universe. It had Brian Greene saying a black hole was like a wallet and that all of the data of anything that enters the blackhole is kept as information in 2D on the event horizon. Some nonsense about we might be the edge of a blackhole. Well, if information about what goes into a blackhole is stripped off and held on the event horizon, doesn't that mean that the information had to exist at the time it went in? You'd have to watch it to hear what I am referring to. Of course my memory of how bad it was could be tempered by how much I disliked it.

http://discovermagazine.com/2011/jun/03-our-universe-may-be-a-giant-hologram#.UcShaTuTjvY

If this isn't the one, I'll keep looking.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  6. Jun 21, 2013 #5

Physics_UG

Gold Member

I was laughing at the term p-brane theory.

7. Jun 21, 2013 #6
    It's because english is not my first language so i don't know how to explain it.
    Thank you Evo, but did you watch that documentary? Because i don't know the episode...

8. Jun 21, 2013 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I watched it. But because I watch a lot of those documentaries, I could have it confused with another.

This has a clip of the show, does it look familiar?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/25/multiverse-brian-greene_n_2003554.html

9. Jun 21, 2013 #8
    Ok, thank you anyway!

10. Jun 21, 2013 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Such TV programs are discussed here often, ALWAYS with the conclusion that there is a LOT of bad science in them. They have VERY pretty graphics and are entertaining to watch, but should NOT be taken seriously. TV "science" is not real science, it is dumbed-down pseudo-science, and often just plain WRONG "science".

Do not be fooled by the fact that some of the people shown are reputable scientists (more or less) ... it seems to be in their contract for these TV shows that they HAVE to get stuff wrong.

11. Jun 21, 2013 #10
    Yes i know i know but i would like to know the name of that three physicists of "the train"...

12. Jun 21, 2013 #11
    In english, p-brane sounds like "pea-brain" which is an old insult. (As in, "your brain is as small as a pea")

"p" stands for the number of dimensions, but why choose that letter in particular? It may have been a slight sense of humor on the physicists part. If not, it's still been making some people giggle ever since.

-Dave K

13. Jun 21, 2013 #12
    I think you're talking about Neil Turok and that other p-brain, sorry, p-brane that developed that cosmology model with the colliding thingamagigs that keep restarting the big bangs. :tongue:

14. Jun 21, 2013 #13
    Watch this four part series from NOVA and you will forget all about the one you can't remember.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fabric-of-cosmos.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook