Does 1 have a degree of 1 or 0?

• Thread starter student34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of degree in polynomials and whether it matters if a polynomial has a degree of 0 or 1. It is also mentioned that the degree of 0 is sometimes considered to be -∞ and that the degree of a polynomial is the highest power of the variable.
student34
Or is it both?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Degree as what? A polynomial?

Does it matter?

For every real r, we have 1=1^r

Office_Shredder said:
Degree as what? A polynomial?

yes, as a polynomial

arildno said:
Does it matter?

For every real r, we have 1=1^r

oh yeah

It's a degree zero polynomial - if it was degree one it would have a variable term.

a*z^0 is a zero'th degree monomial in z, a first degree monomial in "a".

Office_Shredder said:
It's a degree zero polynomial - if it was degree one it would have a variable term.

Oh, so even though 5 has a power of 1, is it still considered a degree of 0?

arildno said:
a*z^0 is a zero'th degree monomial in z, a first degree monomial in "a".

Ok, but what degree polynomial is 0 then?

Do you understand the concept of a variable?

arildno said:
Do you understand the concept of a variable?

I have grade 12 algebra and grade 12 calculus, but any meaning of a variable beyond those courses, I am not sure.

I found an answer to the degree of 0; apparently it's -∞, !?

"I found an answer to the degree of 0; apparently it's -∞, !?"

No, you haven't. Constants are polynomials of degree 0.

What do you mean ``12 grade algebra and 12 grade calculus''?

statdad said:

I found it in my notes from my first year math course in university.

What do you mean ``12 grade algebra and 12 grade calculus''?

You have "12" and "grade" switched around.

statdad said:

Some people do consider the degree of the zero polynomial to be -∞, so as to preserve rules like deg fg = deg f + deg g.

The degree of a polynomial, in variable x, is the highest power of x. We can write "1" as "[itex]1x^0[/itex]" so "degree 0". The reason for the distinction between the '0' polynomial (degree [itex]-\infty[/itex]) and the '1' (or any non-zero number) polynomial (degree 0) is that we could, theoretically, write 0 as "[itex]0x^n[/itex]" for any n.

1. What is the meaning behind "1 have a degree of 1 or 0"?

The phrase "1 have a degree of 1 or 0" is referring to the concept of a variable having a binary degree, meaning it can only have two possible values, 1 or 0. In other words, the variable can either be true (1) or false (0).

2. How is this concept relevant in science?

In science, the concept of binary degrees is often used in computer science, mathematics, and statistics. It is used to represent logical values and make decisions based on those values. It can also be used in experiments to categorize data into two distinct groups.

3. Can a variable have a degree of both 1 and 0?

No, a variable can only have one degree at a time. In a binary system, the variable can only take on one of two values, either 1 or 0. It cannot have both values simultaneously.

4. Is there any significance to the order of the values, 1 or 0?

In most cases, the order of the values does not matter as long as it is consistent. However, in some specific cases, the order may be significant and can impact the outcome or interpretation of the data. It is important to clarify the order of the values when using binary degrees in experiments or analyses.

5. How is this concept different from a continuous degree?

A binary degree only has two possible values, while a continuous degree can have a range of values. Binary degrees are often used when a variable can only have two distinct outcomes, while continuous degrees are used for variables that can have a wide range of values.