Does a number n exist where 2^n mod 3 = 0?

• Thread starter Crisps
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a number n where 2^n mod 3 equals 0, ultimately concluding that such a number does not exist due to the uniqueness of prime factorizations. The conversation also explores the idea of using non-integer or rational values for n, but it is determined that this does not provide a solution either. A formal proof by induction is also presented, but it is noted that induction is unnecessary in this case.
Crisps
This seems a simple question but I am unsure as to why I cannot find a number n where

2^n mod 3 = 0

I am trying to solve a puzzle (I'm not a student) and I think that this may be the key to the puzzle. At first it seemed pretty plausible that there would be a 2^n which was divisible by 3 but having tried the first 64 n's it is now seeming that there may not be. I cannot understand why though. Can anybody let me know if this number exists and if not why not?

(In case you need an example)

2^2 = 4, 4mod3 = 1
2^3 = 8, 8mod3 = 2
etc

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Well remember that if 2^n ≡ 0 mod 3, then 3 must divide 2^n. But by uniqueness of prime factorizations, 3 cannot divide 2^n for any n. That is why the equation you gave above has no solution.

Obviously!

I'll have to try and think of another solution to the puzzle.

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what is the puzzle you are trying to solve?

The MU puzzle from Godel Escher Bach is this problem.

What if "n" doesn't necessarily mean an integer, but rather a rational number.

(EDIT : 31/2 works? )

Last edited:
Using n=31/2 leaves an irrational, and that is not divisible by the rational number 3.

Hepth said:
What if "n" doesn't necessarily mean an integer, but rather a rational number.

Still no solutions.

My attempt at a formal proof by induction.

For a number x in the set of natural numbers, prove that there is no value for x such that 2^x mod 3 = 0.

For some number n mod 3 to be equal to 0, 3 must be a number in n's prime factorization.

Assume that 2^x mod 3 != 0.
2^x has a prime factorization Z.
2^(x+1) has a prime factorization Z U {2}.
Therefore 2^(x+1) mod 3 != 0.

For x = 0...
2^x mod 3 = 1.
The prime factorization of 2^x is {1}.

Mentallic said:
Using n=31/2 leaves an irrational, and that is not divisible by the rational number 3.

Yeah I think mathematica was just set to a low accuracy when i did it. Doesnt make sense that any 2^(x/2) would be rational.

Your formal proof, xnull assumes uniqueness of prime factorization - if you assume that the there is nothing else left to prove, so no need to induct on n or anything at all.

matt grime, I am eager to understand why my attempt at a formal proof is invalid.

I'm not certain from your post what I have done wrong. Could you explain it again?

He's not saying the proof is invalid, just that it uses induction where it is unnecessary.

2^n is already the prime factorization of 2^n. Since there is no factor of 3 there, 3 can't divide it.

Ahh, that's very clear.

1. What is the meaning of (2^n) mod 3?

The expression (2^n) mod 3 represents the remainder when the number 2 is raised to the power of n and divided by 3. It is also known as the "modulus" or "mod" operator.

2. Does (2^n) mod 3 always result in 0?

No, the value of (2^n) mod 3 can vary depending on the value of n. It may result in 0 if n is a multiple of 3, but for other values of n, it can result in a different remainder.

3. What is the significance of the expression (2^n) mod 3 = 0?

This expression is significant in number theory and modular arithmetic. It can be used to determine if a number is divisible by 3 or not. If (2^n) mod 3 = 0, then n is a multiple of 3.

4. Can (2^n) mod 3 be negative?

No, the modulus operator always results in a non-negative remainder. So, (2^n) mod 3 will always be a positive integer, even if the value of (2^n) is negative.

5. How is (2^n) mod 3 related to binary numbers?

The binary representation of a number can be obtained by repeatedly dividing the number by 2 and taking the remainder. Similarly, (2^n) mod 3 can be seen as the remainder when the binary representation of 2^n is divided by 3. This connection is often used in computer science and cryptography.