Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does age really matter ?

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    I'm just wondering does age really matter or is love the only that matters? :shy:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

I think both are that matters.

4. Jul 16, 2012 #3
    I say that both matter, because they matter to me, but as long as their isn't something grossly wrong, people should stick with what makes then happy, regardless of social norms.

5. Jul 16, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I think age plays a very large factor in most relationships. There's a reason most 40 year olds aren't dating 20 year olds. Age isn't simply a number. It's a good way to judge someone before you get to know them. There's also things to think about such as having a child with someone drastically older or younger than yourself. Do you really want to start a family with someone who may die before the kids reach 20? (Perhaps an extreme example of an age mismatch, but you get my point I hope)

6. Jul 16, 2012 #5
    Thanks for all your replies its really helped me.

7. Jul 21, 2012 #6
    How so? I'm trying to think of something solid and useful I can always tell about someone from knowing their age and I can't think of anything. Male, 57, could be anyone from me, to a wall street executive, to a homeless alcoholic.

8. Jul 21, 2012 #7
    I suppose age could give some indication of where the person is in their life with regard to maturity, health and career. Not that these things necessarily follow from their age - just a possible indication. Also, if they aren't at a certain point by a certain age range, it might indicate certain things about their personality that are (un)attractive.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong...

9. Jul 21, 2012 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Love is not the answer to everything. People can love each other yet still be incompatible, possibly even destructive.

Love is put to the test when deep life issues come up. A 25yo man falling in love with a 45yo woman may have his purpose jeopardized when he realizes he's always wanted kids - when he realizes his life won't be complete without kids.

A 40yo man with a heart condition falling in love with a 20yo woman may be in trouble if her life goals include mountain climbing or spending a year living in a hut in India.

Or when she is making enough money to live in a house and wants to have some comfort in life, while he is just getting started in medical school.

Age difference isn't a showstopper, but it raises the likelihood that their paths through life will be more incompatible than average.

10. Jul 23, 2012 #9
    I agree. It's all subjective given who you're dealing with. Although I did notice that now being in my 20's that I notice the age difference less between myself, and say someone in their early-mid 30's. I guess it just might be me getting old...

11. Jul 23, 2012 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, as one gets older, an absolute age gap gets smaller as a percentage.

For example, consider an absolute gap of 7 years. If the ages are 20 and 27, the 27-year-old is 35% older. Five years later, the age difference is 28%.

12. Jul 23, 2012 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Thus the basis of the age formula: x = 1/2y + 7.

14 = 14
    16 = 15-17
    18 = 16-22
    20 = 17-26
    24 = 19-34
    30 = 22-46
    etc.

13. Jul 24, 2012 #12
    So in how many years does it take for th younger one to catch up?
    Age old question that is always posed to young kids.

14. Jul 24, 2012 #13
    So whats that?
    What age categories are possibly compatable for dating or a relationship?
    I find that interesting.

15. Jul 24, 2012 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Inside the range is acceptable.
    Outside the range is creepy.

16. Jul 24, 2012 #15

Evo

I couldn't disagree more. There is no formula.

17. Jul 24, 2012 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Of course not. I merely put it forth as an optional mnemonic if one so chooses. It seems apropos.

18. Jul 24, 2012 #17
    +/- 5 years at most.

19. Jul 24, 2012 #18
    Depending on your age...

15 years -5 years...gets a little off.

We should write an age dependant delta function so that the acceptable deviation varies with age as well.

20. Jul 24, 2012 #19

Evo

Right, if you are 50 and date someone 65 is that unreasonable? The older you get, the less age matters.

I would say that age differences really depend on many factors. At age 52 I was guessed to be 30 years old physically. Some people age better than others. Genetics, health, etc... all come into play for physical appearance. As for age difference other than physical looks, does anyone really take mental age into consideration?

As far as physical looks, I don't have facial wrinkles, I don't have "laugh or smile" wrinkles and I don't have "crows feet" around the eyes. Something people can get in their 20's. But I definitely don't look that young either.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  21. Jul 24, 2012 #20
    My post was a little unclear. I meant to say that the +-5 years that Skrew posted isn't a good idea for all situations. Then citing the example if a 15 year old at the -5 year tolerance. That's why the tolerance needs to be adjusted over time if you're to make a formula for it.

The age difference you mention seems fine. As we've noted after a certain point the difference starts to matter less.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook