Does amp rating of PSU effect output ?

In summary: A transformer that goes to a small board that holds #1 a small black rectangle (with = - 2kbp06 printed on it) and#2 , 2 big *** caps 1000uf 200wv , and that goes to a filter reactor (.32HY-600MADC 10OHMS) and a 3 amp fuse The power unite is a simple circuit made of a 25ohm 1amp rheo, a 25.2v 1A transformer, and a small black rectangle with a printed symbol on it. This rectangle is connected to two big caps, each with a 1000uf rating
massiah2012
i have used different PSU on a simple electromagnetic motor (tattoo machine) and have notice a machine will run a certain way at 2 volts on one power supply but require 9 volts from another power supply to run the same.

Question being is it the amp rating of the power supply that does this ?

the resistance of 1.5 ohm is constant so different power supplies set at say 3volts with different amp ratings will behave differently . why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
massiah2012 said:
i have used different PSU on a simple electromagnetic motor (tattoo machine) and have notice a machine will run a certain way at 2 volts on one power supply but require 9 volts from another power supply to run the same.

Question being is it the amp rating of the power supply that does this ?

the resistance of 1.5 ohm is constant so different power supplies set at say 3volts with different amp ratings will behave differently . why?

If you exceed the output current rating of the power supply, it will go into current limit. Often it will use foldback current limit for linear power supplies, which means that the current and output voltage both fall, until the output short or excessive load is removed.

berkeman said:
If you exceed the output current rating of the power supply, it will go into current limit. Often it will use foldback current limit for linear power supplies, which means that the current and output voltage both fall, until the output short or excessive load is removed.

? HUH that way more than I am asking about , i just want to know if 2 different power supplies with different amp ratings will put out a stronger effect. more current at the same voltage = more power , yes or no ?. only using 3 v on 15v psu's,

unite #1 set at 3v runs strong
unite #2 set at 3v barley runs and runs the same as the other when set at 9v

is it because unite one is 2A and #2 is 1.5 ? does it matter or is it something else

massiah2012 said:
? HUH that way more than I am asking about , i just want to know if 2 different power supplies with different amp ratings will put out a stronger effect. more current at the same voltage = more power , yes or no ?. only using 3 v on 15v psu's,

unite #1 set at 3v runs strong
unite #2 set at 3v barley runs and runs the same as the other when set at 9v

is it because unite one is 2A and #2 is 1.5 ? does it matter or is it something else

Yes, the output current rating is the max that the supply can put out. You should actually measure the output voltage with a voltmeter to see if the output voltage matches the setting. If you try to draw too much current, the supply goes into current limit as I explained, and the output voltage will drop below your setting.

berkeman said:
You should actually measure the output voltage with a voltmeter to see if the output voltage matches the setting. If you try to draw too much current, the supply goes into current limit as I explained, and the output voltage will drop below your setting.

ok well no matter what i set it at 1 v or 10 it read 41v no wounder it is so strong , this unite is a very basic old set up made of a 20v stepdown trans former a filter cap rheostat , don't even know if it has a rectifier can i fix it?

and thanks

actually the power unite consist of only

a 25ohm 1amp rheo, 25.2v 1A transformer that goes to a small board that holds #1 a small black rectangle (with = - 2kbp06 printed on it) and#2 , 2 big *** caps 1000uf 200wv , and that goes to a filter reactor (.32HY-600MADC 10OHMS) and a 3 amp fuse

so what is making it put out a 41v reading ?

1. What does the amp rating of a PSU refer to?

The amp rating of a PSU, or power supply unit, refers to the maximum amount of current that it can supply to the components in a computer.

2. Does a higher amp rating mean a higher output for the PSU?

Not necessarily. The amp rating of a PSU is just one factor that contributes to its overall output. Other factors such as the voltage and efficiency of the PSU also play a role in determining its output.

3. Will using a PSU with a lower amp rating harm my computer?

Using a PSU with a lower amp rating than what is required by your computer's components can potentially cause damage to your computer or result in unstable performance. It is important to use a PSU with an amp rating that meets or exceeds the requirements of your components.

4. Can the amp rating of a PSU be increased or decreased?

No, the amp rating of a PSU is determined by its design and cannot be changed. It is important to choose a PSU with the appropriate amp rating for your specific computer setup.

5. Is the amp rating of a PSU the only factor to consider when choosing a power supply?

No, in addition to the amp rating, other important factors to consider when choosing a PSU include its voltage, efficiency, and overall quality and reliability. It is important to choose a PSU that meets the specific needs of your computer and provides stable and efficient power.