Does an in-line 1-5psi air pump exist?

• Thread starter Hepth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Pump
In summary, the person is looking for an in-line air pump with a small inlet and outlet, powered by either DC or AC. They have had trouble finding one, as most search results are flooded with automotive pumps. They have found a miniature air pump on the first page of their search results, but it may not be efficient for their needs. They mention the possibility of using an electric drill, but ultimately decide to rethink their layout. Another suggestion is to look into small air pumps used for aerating water in aquariums. For industrial compressors, the person can try Gast or Thomas brands.
Hepth
Gold Member
I've been trying to find a product to no avail (lest I disassemble something myself).

What I'm looking for is an in-line air pump, powered by either DC or AC (DC preferred). So electric motor. In/Outlets are just small for rubber tubes. It doesn't have to be too strong. It will be moving air, not water (which I know creates problems with cooling sometimes in electric motors).

I haven't been able to find it, but I have found those portable balloon-inflaters. I guess that's about the strength I'd need (maybe 1-4psi?). But they're large, and the inlet is the width of my hand, while the outlet nozzle is 1/4". So a large fan, medium rpm, large inlet.

I guess the physical size I'm looking for is something of the order of those in-line water pumps for hoses that are powered by drills. Smaller fan, higher rpm, smaller inlet.

Does anyone have any ideas? Its tough to find online as air/water/fuel pumps from automotive really flood the search results.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I googled "miniature air pump" and this was on the first page:
http://www.sensidyne.com/micro-and-miniature-air-pumps/aaa-series-micro-air-pump.php

You probably won't find a rotary pump that small, because the inefficiency due to leakage round the tips of the impellers etc is worse for small pumps than for large ones. To make an efficient small rotary air pump needs "swiss watchmaking" manufacturing tolerances, so they aren't something you can sell for $10. You would also need much higher RPMs than you would get from an electric drill (small turbochargers can run at speeds up to 100,000 RPM, for example).

Ah yes, I'm NOT using an electric drill, just was looking for something that had a similar form factor as the water-drill one (in-line, so that I don't have to use a bunch of elbows, as I would with this one.)

Thanks though, I may just have to rethink the layout.

I don't know how I didn't see it. I guess I was in the shopping tab and those didn't show up there, and I kept including inline.

Thanks! I may order the AAA one.

Not sure if it would work for your application, but any aquarium shop will sell small air pumps for aerating the water. These are low volume, low pressure reciprocating pumps, quite inexpensive.

FAQ: Does an in-line 1-5psi air pump exist?

1. What is an in-line 1-5psi air pump?

An in-line 1-5psi air pump is a type of air pump that is designed to generate a specific pressure range of 1 to 5 pounds per square inch (psi). This type of air pump is typically used for low-pressure applications, such as inflating air mattresses or powering air tools.

2. Does an in-line 1-5psi air pump exist?

Yes, an in-line 1-5psi air pump does exist. There are several manufacturers that produce this type of air pump for various industrial and household applications.

3. What are the benefits of using an in-line 1-5psi air pump?

One of the main benefits of using an in-line 1-5psi air pump is its versatility. It can be used for a wide range of tasks, from inflating small items to powering air tools. Additionally, it is typically more compact and lightweight compared to other types of air pumps, making it easy to transport and store.

4. How does an in-line 1-5psi air pump work?

An in-line 1-5psi air pump works by using an electric motor to compress air and then push it through a hose or tube at a specific pressure range of 1 to 5psi. The air is then directed to the desired location, such as an inflatable object or air tool.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using an in-line 1-5psi air pump?

Yes, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using an in-line 1-5psi air pump. This may include wearing protective gear, such as safety glasses, and ensuring the pump is properly grounded to avoid electric shock. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the pump to ensure safe and efficient operation.

Back