Does an Induction Cooking Pan Need to be Completely Ferrous?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ferrous materials in induction cooking. The question is whether a ferrous pan needs to be completely ferrous or if just the bottom being ferrous would suffice. The conversation also mentions other challenges that may arise with using different materials and the importance of good heat conduction. The participants also share their own personal experiences with induction cookware and suggest looking into alternative materials such as copper and stainless steel. Additional information on induction cooking and magnetism is also mentioned.
Loppyfoot
I ask, "Does a ferrous pan for Induction Cooking need to be Completely Ferrous?"

In other words, could just the bottom of the pan be a ferrous material for good inductive heat induction?

Could I have a ferrous bottom, and ferrous sides that turn to a non-ferrous material after a couple inches?

I am trying to forge my own induction cookware, and I don't know if the entire pan should be ferrous, or if only a part of it needs to be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. The combination of different materials can have other challenges (different thermal expansion coefficients, electrochemical considerations, ...) but heating will work.

Do you think that a ferrous plate at the bottom would suffice though? Or would a completely ferrous pan be significantly better?

In terms of heating, it should not make a large difference. In terms of engineering, I don't know.

I think it shouldn't be a problem. But even if you use a non-ferrous material, it should be a good conductor of heat. What material are you thinking of using?

The pans my wife and I have for our induction cooktop have stainless steel bottoms bonded to copper, which is bonded again to stainless steel.

1. What does it mean for an induction cooking pan to be ferrous?

Ferrous refers to the material of the pan being made of iron or containing iron, which is a ferromagnetic material. This means that the pan can be magnetized and has the ability to create a magnetic field when exposed to an alternating current, necessary for induction cooking.

2. Can I use any type of pan for induction cooking?

No, only pans that are made of or contain ferrous materials can be used for induction cooking. This includes materials such as cast iron, stainless steel, and some types of aluminum. Non-ferrous materials like glass, ceramic, and copper will not work with induction cooktops.

3. What happens if I use a non-ferrous pan on an induction cooktop?

If a non-ferrous pan is used on an induction cooktop, the pan will not heat up as it will not be able to create a magnetic field. This can also potentially damage the cooktop. It is important to always use the correct type of pan for induction cooking.

4. Do I need to completely replace all my cookware for induction cooking?

No, you do not need to replace all your cookware. You can use a magnet to test if your current cookware is compatible with induction cooktops. If the magnet sticks to the bottom of the pan, it can be used for induction cooking. However, if your cookware is not compatible, you will need to purchase new pans that are ferrous.

5. Are there any specific care instructions for induction cooking pans?

Induction cooking pans do not require any special care compared to other types of cookware. However, it is important to avoid dropping or banging the pan on the cooktop as this can damage the surface. Additionally, it is recommended to avoid using metal utensils on the pan to prevent scratches on the surface.