Does an Induction Cooking Pan Need to be Completely Ferrous?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I ask, "Does a ferrous pan for Induction Cooking need to be Completely Ferrous?"

In other words, could just the bottom of the pan be a ferrous material for good inductive heat induction?

Could I have a ferrous bottom, and ferrous sides that turn to a non-ferrous material after a couple inches?

I am trying to forge my own induction cookware, and I don't know if the entire pan should be ferrous, or if only a part of it needs to be.

Answers and Replies

Yes. The combination of different materials can have other challenges (different thermal expansion coefficients, electrochemical considerations, ...) but heating will work.

Do you think that a ferrous plate at the bottom would suffice though? Or would a completely ferrous pan be significantly better?

In terms of heating, it should not make a large difference. In terms of engineering, I don't know.

I think it shouldn't be a problem. But even if you use a non-ferrous material, it should be a good conductor of heat. What material are you thinking of using?

The pans my wife and I have for our induction cooktop have stainless steel bottoms bonded to copper, which is bonded again to stainless steel.