1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does an Induction Cooking Pan Need to be Completely Ferrous?

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    I ask, "Does a ferrous pan for Induction Cooking need to be Completely Ferrous?"

In other words, could just the bottom of the pan be a ferrous material for good inductive heat induction?

Could I have a ferrous bottom, and ferrous sides that turn to a non-ferrous material after a couple inches?

I am trying to forge my own induction cookware, and I don't know if the entire pan should be ferrous, or if only a part of it needs to be.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes. The combination of different materials can have other challenges (different thermal expansion coefficients, electrochemical considerations, ...) but heating will work.

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    Do you think that a ferrous plate at the bottom would suffice though? Or would a completely ferrous pan be significantly better?

5. Jan 28, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In terms of heating, it should not make a large difference. In terms of engineering, I don't know.

6. Jan 28, 2015 #5
    I think it shouldn't be a problem. But even if you use a non-ferrous material, it should be a good conductor of heat. What material are you thinking of using?

7. Jan 28, 2015 #6
    The pans my wife and I have for our induction cooktop have stainless steel bottoms bonded to copper, which is bonded again to stainless steel.

8. Jan 30, 2015 #7

Wes Tausend

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook