Does Cantor's Diagonal Argument Apply to the Rationals?

• Thread starter kduna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary: But if the original list is not the counting list of rationals, then it would be easy to construct a rational that is not on the list, just by looking at the repeating digits of the diagonal and noticing that "too many" rationals would need to appear on the list very early on.
kduna
I had an undergraduate pose an interesting question to me. "Why doesn't Cantor's Diagonal Argument apply to the rationals?"

http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Real_Numbers_are_Uncountable/Cantor%27s_Diagonal_Argument

Now obviously it doesn't since the rationals are countable. But what breaks the argument? It seems obvious that the resulting "diagonal number" won't be rational since the decimal expansion of rationals either terminate or repeat.

But actually proving that this "diagonal number" can't be rational seems like it would be difficult.

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
The "diagonal number" in the standard argument is constructed based on a mythical list, namely a given denumeration of the real numbers. So that number is mythical. If we're willing to consider proving properties about the mythical number, it can be proved to have any property we want; in particular, it's both provably rational and provably irrational.

A different, well-posed question. If we let [itex](x_i)_{i=1}^\infty[/itex] be an enumeration of [itex][0,1]\cap\mathbb Q[/itex] and let [itex]x_i=0.d_{i1}d_{i2}d_{i3}...[/itex] be a decimal expansion, then is the associated diagonal number rational? Equivalently, do its digits eventually cycle?

The answer to this is no, and there's an easy proof. By construction, it's not in the list. By fiat, the list exhausted the rationals. Hence it isn't rational.

Given a (necessarily incomplete) list of rationals with a rational diagonal, I want to think that it should be fairly straightforward, if not a bit tedious, to construct a rational that is not on the list, just by looking at the repeating digits of the diagonal and noticing that "too many" rationals would need to appear on the list very early on.

At the very least, it should be easy to construct a finite set of rationals that couldn't all be on the list.

kduna said:
I had an undergraduate pose an interesting question to me. "Why doesn't Cantor's Diagonal Argument apply to the rationals?"

http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Real_Numbers_are_Uncountable/Cantor%27s_Diagonal_Argument

Now obviously it doesn't since the rationals are countable. But what breaks the argument? It seems obvious that the resulting "diagonal number" won't be rational since the decimal expansion of rationals either terminate or repeat.

But actually proving that this "diagonal number" can't be rational seems like it would be difficult.

What do you guys think?

You don't have to prove that the diagonal number is not rational. It's the fact that you cannot prove it is rational that means the proof doesn't work.

If you're left not knowing whether the number is rational or not, then you haven't proved anything. In particular, you haven't found a rational not in the original list.

PeroK said:
You don't have to prove that the diagonal number is not rational. It's the fact that you cannot prove it is rational that means the proof doesn't work.

If you're left not knowing whether the number is rational or not, then you haven't proved anything. In particular, you haven't found a rational not in the original list.

And no wonder it is hard to prove the diagonal number is rational. If the original list is the counting list of rationals (easy to prove the rationals are countable), the diagonal is not on the list and can not be rational.

What is Cantor's Diagonal Argument?

Cantor's Diagonal Argument, also known as the Cantor's Diagonalization Argument, is a mathematical proof that was developed by Georg Cantor in the late 1800s. It demonstrates the existence of uncountable sets, meaning that there are infinite sets that cannot be put into one-to-one correspondence with the counting numbers.

How does Cantor's Diagonal Argument work?

Cantor's Diagonal Argument works by assuming that a list of all the real numbers between 0 and 1 can be created. Then, using a diagonalization process, a new number is constructed that is not on the list. This contradicts the initial assumption, proving that the set of real numbers between 0 and 1 is uncountable.

What is the significance of Cantor's Diagonal Argument?

Cantor's Diagonal Argument is significant because it revolutionized the field of mathematics by showing the existence of uncountable sets, which had previously been thought to be impossible. It also laid the foundation for the development of advanced mathematical concepts, such as transfinite numbers and set theory.

Is Cantor's Diagonal Argument controversial?

Cantor's Diagonal Argument has been met with some controversy, especially in its early years. Some mathematicians were skeptical of the proof and its implications, while others embraced it as a groundbreaking discovery. However, today it is widely accepted and is considered a fundamental concept in mathematics.

Are there any real-world applications of Cantor's Diagonal Argument?

While Cantor's Diagonal Argument may not have direct real-world applications, its implications have had a major impact on fields such as computer science and cryptography. It has also influenced the development of advanced mathematical concepts and theories, making it a vital part of modern mathematics.