Looking for Interesting Math Related Questions

• Thread starter chingkui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the conversation is about looking for interesting quiz questions related to mathematics that are suitable for recent college graduates with diverse backgrounds. The questions should be simple enough for laypeople to understand and can cover topics such as history of math, mathematicians, and puzzles. The participants also express interest in finding questions from online resources. Examples of questions mentioned include the direction of water drain in a sink and calculating the percentage of sunlight received by the Earth. The conversation also includes a discussion about the distance between the Earth and the sun and the use of the speed of light to calculate it.
chingkui
Hi,
I am looking for some interesting (multiple choices type) quiz questions that are related to mathematics. The quiz participants include mostly recent college graduates of diverse background from mathematics to engineering to bio-med. The audience also come from diverse background. In general, they are almost all layperson. So, the quiz questions cannot be very difficult mathematics like "how many subgroup does S_8 have?"
I have no idea what kind of question I can ask, does anyone have any interesting questions related to mathematics that even layperson could understand (and interesting to most people)? It seems so difficult to come up one.
What I am looking for are questions that are simple enough yet not stupid, and can be anything related to mathematics (history of math, mathematicians, simple puzzle, etc.)
As an example of what I am looking, I have a science question that (most) people could understand and find interesting:

Someone in Australia pulls the plug from a washing basin. The water drains from the basin, causing a whirl or eddy. In which direction does the water turn ?

a. Always clockwise, because of the Coriolis force.
b. Always counterclockwise, because of the Coriolis force.
c. Sometimes clockwise, sometimes counterclockwise.

Anyone who can point to online resource is also very much appreciated. Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The corilois effect is far too weak to affect the water in a bathtub or a sink.

If one drained Lake Erie, perhaps it would come into play, but not any small container because it is simply not large enough.

http://geography.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fmath.ucr.edu%2Fhome%2Fbaez%2Fphysics%2FGeneral%2Fbathtub.html

Last edited by a moderator:
what percentage of the suns light is received by the earth. this was a question on a high school physics test which can be done by elementary geometry and some insight.

mathwonk said:
what percentage of the suns light is received by the earth. this was a question on a high school physics test which can be done by elementary geometry and some insight.

You'd need to know the distance to the sun, though. Which is not geometry. And are we talking about the surface of the earth, or just the sun light that 'hits' the planet (and then bounces off or penetrates the atmosphere)?

Perhaps presenting the 1=0 proof and asking them to find the fallacy?

i forgot that in todays world there are people who do not know the distance from Earth to sun.

mathwonk said:
i forgot that in todays world there are people who do not know the distance from Earth to sun.

That's right, I don't know the distance. But, I don't use it on a day to day basis so who can blame me?

I could figure it out using the speed of light and the time it takes light to reach the Earth (which keeps getting quoted on that sports centre commercial :rofl: )

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of "Looking for Interesting Math Related Questions"?

The purpose of "Looking for Interesting Math Related Questions" is to spark curiosity and encourage critical thinking about mathematical concepts. It aims to provide a platform for individuals to share and explore interesting and thought-provoking math-related questions.

2. Who can participate in "Looking for Interesting Math Related Questions"?

Anyone with an interest in mathematics can participate in "Looking for Interesting Math Related Questions." This includes students, teachers, researchers, and anyone who enjoys thinking about and discussing math.

3. How can I submit a question to "Looking for Interesting Math Related Questions"?

To submit a question, simply post it on the designated platform or forum for "Looking for Interesting Math Related Questions." You can also use the designated hashtag on social media to share your question.

4. Are there any specific guidelines for submitting a question to "Looking for Interesting Math Related Questions"?

Yes, there are some guidelines to ensure that the questions are appropriate and relevant to the purpose of the platform. The questions should be related to mathematics, thought-provoking, and open-ended to encourage discussion and critical thinking. It is also recommended to provide some background information or context for the question.

5. Can I answer other people's questions on "Looking for Interesting Math Related Questions"?

Absolutely! In fact, we encourage participants to engage in discussions and share their thoughts and insights on other people's questions. This will create a collaborative learning environment and promote the exchange of ideas and perspectives.