Does dropping a class hurt you?

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the student is taking four courses this semester with a heavy workload, including Calculus II, Physics I, Linear Algebra, and Organic Chemistry. They are struggling to balance their schedule with an internship and fear they will not be able to achieve a perfect grade in all courses. They are considering dropping Organic Chemistry but are worried about the consequences and potential gaps in knowledge. Ultimately, the decision to drop the course depends on how much time the student has to spare and their ability to work harder or adjust their schedule.
QuarkCharmer
So, this semester I am taking Calc2 (6 credits here), Physics1 (4 credits), Linear Algebra (3 credits), and OrganicChem1 (4 credits). My Organic Chemistry course is at a strange time on Sundays and it's really inconvenient to attend. On top of that, it's only one day a week, which is awkward to me considering all of the work required for the course. If I keep my current course-load, I think I will most likely end up getting at most a B in chemistry. Not only that, but I don't feel that I have the proper time to fully understand all the material.

Calculus II is no problem at all, I know all of the topics already before taking the course, but there is so much homework it takes a solid 15 hours a week outside of class to stay up to speed. I have a wretched physics professor that does not cover the proof of anything. She teaches to a class of engineers (no offense) who simply want to learn some equations and finish the course. So I have to spend much free time re-learning the material in the proper manner. I think I am the only physics student in any of my courses except for this one astronomy major. Linear algebra is no problem at all, I actually enjoy that class the most I think.

That being said, will it hurt me if I drop Organic Chemistry? I have never dropped a class before and my university does not have a WP/WF type dropping system (Withdrawn-passing/failing), it simply puts a W on the transcript as far as I know. I don't want a B, and even more so, I don't want to have gaps in my knowledge because I want to take Organic 2 and so on. My chemistry courses are not required for my degree though, not taking them would not prohibit me from taking higher physics courses or delay my graduation. I would simply take it at a later time to finish a chemistry minor.

For what it's worth, I currently have a 4.0 and am working on a Physics degree with a specialization in Optics/Photonics and a Chem minor. I will attend grad school.

What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's going to hurt you in other classes, drop it. At the end of the day no one will care.

I would stick with the class and put my best effort in it. And honestly though 4 classes doesn't sound too bad. I had quite a similar schedule my first semester at college, with Calc 2, Linear Algebra, Physics I and Philosophy and it wasn't bad at all. With a lot of these courses I feel there's a learning curve, but once you've put enough time into a subject it's only going to get easier.

Well, I have an internship this semester as well, which is why I took the average amount of courses. That is something I definitely do not want to slack off on. I'm not worried about the learning curve thing, I don't even think that any of the courses are particularly difficult. I just do not have the time to perfectly score on 4 courses, 2 labs, and an internship without getting a B or worse somewhere. The CalcII homework is extensive, I have a professor notorious for prescribing problems in the latter ends of the book, but I think it's really fun, just time consuming. Physics has that dreaded Masteringphysics.com garbage that eats up hours and hours as well. That plus two 5 hour labs a week, their associated reports, and the internship adds up.

Drop it if you think there's an easier time in the future to take it.

QuarkCharmer said:
Well, I have an internship this semester as well, which is why I took the average amount of courses. That is something I definitely do not want to slack off on. I'm not worried about the learning curve thing, I don't even think that any of the courses are particularly difficult. I just do not have the time to perfectly score on 4 courses, 2 labs, and an internship without getting a B or worse somewhere. The CalcII homework is extensive, I have a professor notorious for prescribing problems in the latter ends of the book, but I think it's really fun, just time consuming. Physics has that dreaded Masteringphysics.com garbage that eats up hours and hours as well. That plus two 5 hour labs a week, their associated reports, and the internship adds up.

I see, well that makes the situation vastly different. However, dropping it depends on whether the matter is just you working your butt off, or you not having time at all. If you still have some time to spare, and all you have to do is work harder, I'd continue with it. However if you don't have enough time to devote, then maybe dropping it would be better. Of course, there's always a third option of increasing the time you have by about 10 hours a week if you choose to sleep say 6.5 instead of 8 hours, but that probably depends on how you function. I could do it (and am) but a lot of people I know can't live off of anything less than 8 or 9.

ahsanxr said:
I see, well that makes the situation vastly different. However, dropping it depends on whether the matter is just you working your butt off, or you not having time at all. If you still have some time to spare, and all you have to do is work harder, I'd continue with it. However if you don't have enough time to devote, then maybe dropping it would be better. Of course, there's always a third option of increasing the time you have by about 10 hours a week if you choose to sleep say 6.5 instead of 8 hours, but that probably depends on how you function. I could do it (and am) but a lot of people I know can't live off of anything less than 8 or 9.

That's a good point. I am already past the "get your money back and make it look like you never took the class" deadline so really I have a month or more to decide. (Which is really silly since the add/drop deadline was before I even took my second class because it's a one day a week course on Sundays and the semester started on a Monday). I guess I should make a weekly schedule and plan all of my time to see if it's even possible.

I don't think I would drop the course, it is a good course to take. It has a lot of synthetic knowledge compared to math and physics for example. You will always need to take on new knowledge and handle new things, so this could be good preparation. Because you say you are not struggling with calculus, I would stick with it.

Perhaps you could devote 30 minutes each day to chemistry (plus a weekly homework session when you need it). Seeing it more often may help it take.

Well, I thought a great deal on this and made a schedule providing ample time for each class. Since the Chem course was only once a week I would most certainly have to spend more time on it than if I took one that was more frequent. This is the first course that I have signed up for that has had this type of schedule. Considering all the time required, my schedule was just not working out unless I planned my whole week perfectly, nothing unexpected came up, and I slept 5 hours each night. I don't think that I can manage that. As a result, I dropped the class this morning :(

That schedule was not including any time for exercise or other non-academic related things either. I think I will write the professor an email now explaining that I dropped her course because of unexpected time constraints and that I plan to take it with her again in the next semester. She is a great professor, I just don't have the time that I thought I did.

Would that be a good idea?

If it doesn't have a W

1. Can dropping a class hurt my GPA?

Yes, dropping a class can potentially hurt your GPA. When you drop a class, it will show up on your transcript as a withdrawal or a "W" grade, which does not affect your GPA. However, if you drop the class after the deadline or if you have too many "W" grades on your transcript, it can negatively impact your GPA.

2. Will dropping a class affect my financial aid?

It depends on your specific financial aid package and the policies of your institution. Dropping a class can potentially affect your financial aid if it changes your enrollment status. For example, if you drop a class and it puts you below full-time enrollment, you may lose some or all of your financial aid. It is important to check with your financial aid office before dropping a class.

3. Can I drop a class at any time?

No, there is usually a specific deadline for dropping a class. This deadline is typically before the halfway point of the semester. After this deadline, you may not be able to drop the class without it showing up on your transcript or affecting your GPA. It is important to check with your institution's policies for specific deadlines.

4. Will dropping a class affect my academic standing?

It depends on your institution's policies and your current academic standing. If you are already struggling academically, dropping a class could potentially worsen your standing. However, if you are doing well in your other classes, dropping a class may not have a significant impact on your standing.

5. Can I retake a class that I dropped?

Yes, in most cases you can retake a class that you dropped. However, the policies and procedures for retaking a class may vary by institution. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before retaking a class to ensure it will count towards your degree requirements.