Does electrical engineering pave the way to other science fields?

In summary, the speaker has been accepted to an electronic engineering course and is confident in their ability to excel due to their love for physics and being an all-rounder in science. They are wondering if pursuing electronic engineering means they have to give up chemistry and biology, but others suggest that there are interdisciplinary postgraduate options available, such as bioengineering. The speaker is advised to focus on a specific field and build a strong foundation in math and physics to have opportunities in various scientific fields.
DrFishNips
I managed to get accepted to an electronic engineering course which is one serious achievement for me. I love physics so I'm going to excel in this course but when it comes to science I'm a bit of an all rounder. I like physics, chemistry and biology. If I was to do electronic engineering for the next 4 years does that mean I've to forget about chemistry and biology altogether though? All these fields go hand in hand like nanotechnology for instance. What I'm wondering is if a degree in electronic engineering will pave the way to entering lots of different science fields or will it just be physics related fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always try to get into the bioengineering field after you graduate with an engineering degree. I think you would really benefit from exploring this option, given your interests.

I had a professor in undergrad who started as an EE did research in Bio Engineering, so it's definitely possible.

Also, don't you have another active thread on the exact same topic?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's a lot of interdisciplinary postgrad stuff you can go into with EE; biochips, bio imaging, nanotech in regards to things like photovoltaics (which will involve a fair bit of chemistry).

I wouldn't try and learn EVERYTHING in your undergrad years, find a good field you like that has applications in the multidiscipline fields you're into, and go from there:)

You can pave your way to any scientific field if you have a solid math and physics background, and work very hard.

1. What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of science that deals with the study, design, and application of electrical systems, including electronic devices, communication systems, power generation, and control systems.

2. How does electrical engineering relate to other science fields?

Electrical engineering is a versatile field that overlaps with many other science fields such as physics, computer science, and mathematics. It provides a foundation for understanding and developing technologies in these fields.

3. What skills are required to be successful in electrical engineering?

To excel in electrical engineering, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail are essential skills for success in this field.

4. Can electrical engineering lead to a career in other science fields?

Yes, electrical engineering can lead to a variety of career paths in other science fields such as renewable energy, telecommunications, robotics, and biomedical engineering.

5. Is there a high demand for electrical engineers in other science fields?

Yes, there is a high demand for electrical engineers in various science fields due to the constant advancements in technology and the increasing need for sustainable and efficient solutions in industries such as healthcare, transportation, and energy.