Does every element of order 2 in a finite group have a complement in the group?

• Thread starter moont14263
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, if G is a finite group where every element of order 2 has a complement in G, then G does not have an element of order 4. This can be proven by assuming the existence of an element x of order 4 in G and showing that this leads to a contradiction. By using the fact that the order of a product is the product of the orders divided by the order of the intersection, we can show that the order of G is less than its own order, which is impossible. Therefore, G has no element of order 4.
moont14263
Let G be a finite group. Suppose that every element of order 2 of G has a complement in G, then G has no element of order 4.

Proof. Let x be an element of G of order 4. By hypothesis, G=<x^{2}> K and < x^{2}> [itex]\cap[/itex]K=1 for some subgroup K of G. Clearly, G=< x> K and < x>[itex]\cap[/itex] K=1$, but |G|=|< x^{2}>||K|<|< x >||K|=|G|, a contradiction. Therefore G has no element of order 4.

Is above true? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right to me, but to understand your last inequality I had to look up and verify the fact that the order of a product is the product of the orders divided by the order of the intersection. So I'd recommend putting that in there. My algebra prof recommended writing proofs so that someone 3 weeks behind could understand.

Notice that [itex]|HK|=\frac{|H||K|}{|H\cap K|}[/itex], for any subgroups [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]K[/itex] of [itex]G[/itex]. Sorry, I could not add it there, but thank you very much.

What is the complement of a subgroup?

The complement of a subgroup is a subset of the larger group that contains all the elements not in the subgroup. In other words, it is the set of elements that, when combined with the subgroup, make up the entire group.

How is the complement of a subgroup denoted?

The complement of a subgroup is often denoted as G\H, where G is the larger group and H is the subgroup.

What is the relationship between a subgroup and its complement?

A subgroup and its complement are complementary subgroups, meaning that they do not share any common elements and together make up the entire group.

Can a subgroup and its complement be disjoint?

No, a subgroup and its complement cannot be disjoint. They must have at least one common element, which is the identity element of the group.

How is the complement of a subgroup related to the normalizer of the subgroup?

The complement of a subgroup is closely related to the normalizer of the subgroup. The normalizer is the largest subgroup that contains the given subgroup, and the complement is the largest subgroup that does not contain the given subgroup. In fact, the normalizer and the complement of a subgroup are always complementary subgroups.