Does Every p-Group Have a Subgroup of Every Order Between 0 and n?

  • Thread starter Thread starter algeb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Homework
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
algeb
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If G is a p group, show that it has a subgroup of order p^m for every 0<=m<=n.

The Attempt at a Solution



The only thing I know about p-groups is that they have nontrivial centers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I take it that the order of G is p^n? And I take it you're not supposed to use Sylow?

How about induction on n then?
 
yes, p-group is by definition a group of order p^n. And it's OK to use Sylow theorems, but how?
 
Well, it has another definition where every element has order p^k for some k. Anyway, I think induction is pretty much the only way to go. As I recall, this proof is rather tricky so don't get discouraged.
 
This is really a restatement of one of the Sylow theorems for p-groups. So it's a good idea to try to study a proof of the appropriate Sylow theorem.