Possible Causes of Headaches During Fasting

• Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, the individual felt dizzy and almost vomited, but was relieved that it did not happen. They identified possible reasons for this, such as playing the flute for a long period of time, not eating enough, and possibly not drinking enough fluids. Fellow musicians also suggested that abnormal breathing and environmental factors could contribute to tension headaches. Personal experience with migraines and sickness was also mentioned. Overall, it is believed that the combination of playing the flute for a long time, not eating or drinking enough, and possibly being exposed to environmental factors, led to the feeling of dizziness and almost vomiting.
Bladibla
Hey all.

I felt really really dizzy today, and was about to vomit. But thankfully that didn't happen.

I tried to seek out a proper answer to why i was dissy today, and i relised i was doing some things before i went a bit dizzy.

1). Played flute for quite a while (lets say about a hour)
2). didn't eat anything but breakfast

The latter seems quite stupid, as I've always just eaten breakfast, and got along fine.

Does anyone know why headaches like this hapen?

Biology news on Phys.org
Bladibla said:
...1). Played flute for quite a while (lets say about a hour)...

Does anyone know why headaches like this hapen?
By the sounds of it you are not used to playing for long periods of time, you played more higher (or lower) notes than you normally do, you haven't been drinking enough fluids or you were trying to play fortissimo and were not using your diaphragm.

One of those might be the answer but what I have said is from my experiences as a musician, not as a scientist.

The Bob (2004 ©)

2). didn't eat anything but breakfast

The fact that you didn't eat anything but breakfast can contribute to the fact that you felt dizzy and sick. What I believe happens is that when you go for a long time without eating your blood sugar level begins to decrease causing weakness and the feeling that you are tired. It may also cause shaking of the hands in some people. You also went for a long time playing the flute which is also a tiring activity (I used to play the saxophone). The fact that you were most likely tired and hungry could lead to the fact that you became dizzy and almost vomited. Also as stated by The Bob you probably weren't drinking enough water which also causes a nauseous feeling. Hope that helps.

Tension type headaches may be triggered by emotional or physical stress (eg. an argument, fatigue, prolonged reading, dehydration,fasting or sitting for a long time), or by environmental factors such as loud music.

I think The Bob and Music Monkey answered pretty thoroughly. So, just to sum up, fasting can cause headaches, as can abnormal breathing (such as you might have done while playing the flute; if you were sustaining a single breath too long or hyperventillating - not sure which might be the case with playing the flute having never done so, but I can imagine it might be either).

My personal experience is that I get migraines if I go too long without eating, and those are accompanied by nausea, which makes it difficult to then eat and get over it; the best way to avoid it is to make sure I eat at the earliest possible sign of feeling a little light-headed or headachy, before the nausea kicks in.

Or you could be getting a sickness like the flu

Related to Possible Causes of Headaches During Fasting

1. Why do I get headaches when I fast?

Headaches during fasting can be caused by a variety of factors, including dehydration, low blood sugar, and caffeine withdrawal. When you fast, your body may not be getting enough fluids, leading to dehydration and subsequent headaches. Additionally, not eating can cause a drop in blood sugar levels, which can trigger headaches. Lastly, if you regularly consume caffeine and suddenly stop during a fast, you may experience caffeine withdrawal headaches.

2. How can I prevent headaches while fasting?

To prevent headaches during fasting, it is important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and avoiding caffeinated or sugary beverages. It may also be helpful to eat small, frequent meals or snacks to maintain stable blood sugar levels. If you regularly consume caffeine, consider gradually reducing your intake rather than stopping abruptly.

3. Are headaches during fasting normal?

Headaches during fasting are a common side effect, but they are not experienced by everyone. If you are new to fasting, it is normal to experience some headaches as your body adjusts to the change. However, if your headaches are severe or persistent, it is important to consult a healthcare professional.

4. Can fasting worsen existing headaches?

Fasting can potentially worsen existing headaches, especially if they are triggered by dehydration or low blood sugar. If you suffer from chronic headaches or migraines, it is important to talk to your doctor before starting a fast to discuss any potential risks or adjustments that may need to be made.

5. How long do fasting headaches last?

The duration of fasting headaches can vary from person to person. In most cases, they should subside within a day or two as your body adjusts to the fast. However, if you continue to experience headaches for an extended period of time during fasting, it is important to consult a healthcare professional to rule out any underlying issues.