Does God have a Free Will

sorry but i cant so well explained that in english

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm not asking you to speak better English. :smile: I can read your English just fine, and I'm sure it's better than my Danish!

I'm just trying to get you to see that statements like "God is older than the biggest number" are just not useful in a debate. You might believe that statement on faith, but you cannot assume the faith of your audience.

- Warren

ok i cant win this battle against evolution or creation because all the time are coming thigs which are supporting evolution. I cant because it is not giving any meaning for. me.
If there is no god then there is a creator of the universe. but you will maked even more complicated if there are fx. two creators because someone mus have created them so im saying that there is only One.

about this gay disease :surprised damn it the bonbo apes they are having sex also with there own sex. Its even more disguisting, they are doing this with thir own sex because to make a better social conection. everytime i remember that pic than i gettin worse ****
i never thought that the animals are also homosex .

Will has to do with wanting something, with desire to do something IMHO.

Don't you guys get tired about all these 'persons' wanting something from you? I do. Even if it's a god, a bonobo-creator (and observer :tongue2:).

fourier jr said:
I haven't read all the replies here, but this topic reminds me of something Stephen Hawking asked: "Did God have a choice when he created the universe?"
I asked that to a philosopher of science @ my school who asked me what do people expect to get from theoretical physics? Is theoretical physics supposed to find out the 'truth' about the real world, or explan other, theological, things?

Exactly.. if god wanted a universe with inteligent life in it,, he could never create one with another gravity constant for example couse no planet would ever form.. or another electromagnetic coupling constant, couse no atom would form.... So even GOD (If he exist) had to follow some kind of rules to create life..

I must say I'm agnostic, I just stumbled in to this thread out of the 'dark woods', but there are a few things I think that have been neglected in this discussion. I think God can't choose evil because I think evil can be defined as what God doesn't favour, or 'choose'. Evil is what is against Gods wishes. Does this mean that God has no Free Will? I don't think so, you can't choose what you don't choose. I agree with your point on Pantheism, Hypnagogue: if god is merely everything that exists combined, and this entity has free will with no constraint, then A) what the are all the physicists doing trying to find a fundamental mathematical equation for the workings of the universe if it can alter itself at will, and B) why has their research yielded such consistent and experimentally sound results?

Of course it could be argued that there is an element of uncertainty to the universe (enter uncertainty principle) and this is an opening for the will of god to alter the consititution, and in that sense Einstein's assertion that 'God does not play dice with the universe' could have been retorted with 'he doesn't have to, he controls the dice', but the reason that physics theories such as Relativity have yeided such impressive results is because the randomness is so small scale and so rare that it can be done away with in explaining everyday physical events. Does God have the power to change the universe but only does so once in a blue moon, and only one elementary particle at a time? If so, than God must be more than just the sum of the universe (otherwise there wouldn't be this veil that stops us seeing the cause of these random events, the universe would be choosing them, they would not be random) or if God is merely the combined total of all things, he is constrained because it can still be up to chance.

Thanks, Babsyco.

Forgot to mention, that is of course assuming that the Uncertainty principle is correct, which maybe I shouldn't.

Thanks, Babsyco.

God cannot be evil as it defies logic. Our sence of good and evil is tyied in to our idea of God. God by definition must be good because if he was even slitly evil then we would all be aware of his existance. And we wouldnt have free will

God has freewill because if God didnt have free will, He would not be God

God has left his finger prints all over the universe. There is scientific evidence pointing torward God.

Preator Fenix said:
Is God free to do as he please's?

If so what certaintly do we have that he ultimatly is not evil, or weaher he has the capacity to be or not be evil?

Free will is the ability to decide freely, without captivity to environment, education, genetics, etc. In that sense, God has free will. There is no environment, education, genetics, etc, that determine God's mind.

On the other hand, intelligence and consciousness are attributes of God, and I cannot conceive of God as 'free' to not be intelligent, or cease from being conscious, etc.

So, I think on the matter of free will, God is free to be God, but not free to be anything other than God.