Does initial speed of a gun affect bullet velocity?

In summary, the velocity of a bullet can be affected by the movement of the shooter or the vehicle they are in. However, this effect is minimal and does not significantly impact the effectiveness of the bullet. This concept has been explored in various forms, such as the mythbusters experiment and even in conversations dating back to the 1950s. Ultimately, the velocity of the bullet is determined by various factors, including air resistance, and is not significantly impacted by the movement of the shooter or their surroundings.
Matthew Siefring
My brother and I were having an argument so I decided to make an account on this forum. Say you were to lurch you hand forward while firing a pistol. Would that affect the max velocity of the bullet?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would indeed, just like shooting a gun from a moving vehicle will also affect the velocity of the bullet. The idea is similar to this experiment done by mythbusters:

Thanks

Would it have an effect on the max velocity of the bullet? yes, but it would be negligible when talking about the effectiveness of the round. Even if you were in a car going 80 mph and shot a bullet directly behind you (or in front of you) it would be negligible in all but the slowest rounds.

HA. I remember having this conversation when I was in secondary school ( about 1959). It was about cowboys and rustlers. The question was would the pursuing riders have an advantage of range with their guns over the retreating rustlers. Nothing new under the Sun. :smile:

sophiecentaur said:
The question was would the pursuing riders have an advantage of range with their guns over the retreating rustlers.
Rather the opposite, if you consider air resistance.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is the relationship between initial speed of a gun and bullet velocity?

The initial speed of a gun has a direct impact on the velocity of the bullet. This means that the faster the gun is fired, the higher the velocity of the bullet will be. This is due to the principle of conservation of momentum, where the momentum of the gun is transferred to the bullet upon firing.

2. How does the weight of the bullet affect its velocity?

The weight of the bullet also plays a role in its velocity. Generally, a lighter bullet will have a higher velocity than a heavier bullet when fired from the same gun. This is because a lighter bullet requires less force to accelerate to a certain velocity compared to a heavier bullet.

3. Is there a limit to how fast a bullet can go?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast a bullet can go. The speed of a bullet is limited by the physical capabilities of the gun and the materials used to make the bullet. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and gravity can also affect the maximum velocity a bullet can reach.

4. How does the length of the gun barrel impact bullet velocity?

The length of the gun barrel can affect the velocity of the bullet in a few ways. A longer barrel allows for a longer time for the expanding gases to accelerate the bullet, resulting in a higher velocity. Additionally, a longer barrel also allows for more accurate and consistent firing, further increasing the bullet's velocity.

5. Does the type of gun powder used affect bullet velocity?

Yes, the type of gun powder used can impact the velocity of a bullet. Different types of gun powder have varying burn rates, which can affect the amount of force produced and in turn, the velocity of the bullet. Additionally, the amount of gun powder used in each round can also impact the bullet's velocity.