Exploring the Solvability of Integrals: \int \sqrt{u^{4}+1} dx

• Thread starter nicodoggie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and solvability of the integral \int \sqrt{u^{4}+1} dx and its relation to elementary functions. The conversation also includes a question about the solution to a given contest problem involving the integral. A mistake in the solution is identified and corrected, leading to the correct answer of cos x \sqrt{sin^{4}x+1}.
nicodoggie
Can the integral be found?

Does the integral [tex]\int \sqrt{u^{4}+1} dx[/tex] have a solution?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you asking? In the integral you give, you have a function of u integrated with respect to x! Is u some function of x or is that simply a typo?
If you meant [itex]\int\sqrt{x^4+1}dx[/itex], then since [itex]\sqrt{x^4+1}[/itex] is continuous, yes, there certainly exist a function having that as its derivative- it has an anti-derivative.

If, however, you are asking whether that anti-derivative can be written in terms of "elementary functions", no it cannot.

I'm sorry, yes that is what I meant. I thought not. Thanks a lot!

Elliptic Functions.

Actually, I encountered the integral in a contest. The question was:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{(dx)^{2}}\int^{x}_{0}\left(\int^{sin t}_{1}\sqrt{u^{4}+1} du\right) dt}[/tex]

I wasn't so sure how to solve it, but what I did was:
(I'm not even sure this is proper use of the fundamental theorem of the Calculus...)

[tex]=\frac{d^{2}}{(dx)^{2}} \int \left(\int^{sin x}_{1}\sqrt{u^{4}+1}du+\int^{sin 0}_{1}\sqrt{u^{4}+1}du\right)dx[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{d}{dx} \left(\int^{sin x}_{1}\sqrt{u^{4}+1}du+\int^{sin 0}_{1}\sqrt{u^{4}+1}du\right)dx[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{d}{dx}\left(\int \sqrt{sin^{4}x+1}dx-\int \sqrt{2}dx - \left(\int dx-\int \sqrt{2}dx\right) \right)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{d}{dx}\left(\int \sqrt{sin^{4}x+1}dx-\int dx\right)[/tex]
[tex]=\underline{\sqrt{sin^{4}x+1}-1}[/tex]

But they said the answer was [tex]cos x \sqrt{sin^{4}x+1}[/tex]

Could anyone please tell me what I did wrong? Thanks

I think when you replaced the u with sinx you forgot to also do the chain rule. That would get you the cosx.

oh yeah... makes sense. We were never really taught this stuff in class, (I don't think they deemed it necessary for IT majors to learn theory.) Thanks a lot!

1. Can the integral be found for any function?

Yes, the integral can be found for any function that is continuous on a closed interval. However, some integrals may not have a closed form solution and can only be approximated numerically.

2. How do you find the integral of a function?

To find the integral of a function, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus or various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You can also use software or calculators to find the integral numerically.

3. Is the integral a measure of area?

Yes, the integral can be thought of as a measure of area under the curve of a function. It represents the accumulation of infinitely small areas between the curve and the x-axis.

4. Can the integral be negative?

Yes, the value of an integral can be negative if the function being integrated has negative values on the given interval. Negative values indicate that the area under the curve is below the x-axis.

5. Why is the integral important in mathematics and science?

The integral is important in mathematics and science because it allows for the calculation of important quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration in physics, as well as the calculation of areas, volumes, and other important measurements in various fields of science and engineering.