Does quantum entanglement in fact equal a wormhole?

In summary: It is a fascinating speculation. In summary, The paper discusses the connection between quantum entanglement and Einstein Rosen-Bridges, proposing that they could be linked in a theory of quantum gravity. The authors also mention the possibility of testing this theory with modern technology, but it remains a speculative concept at this point.
Guthrie Prentice
So I came across this paper claiming that quantum entanglement was an as yet not understood Einstein Rosen-Bridge: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1306.0533v2.pdf

I have two questions pertaining to this:

1. Does the math on this paper actually check out and is this possible?

2. Since this paper: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00981257/document seems to show experimentally that the Casimir effect can warp space time in a way that Kip Thorne predicted for wormholes, http://authors.library.caltech.edu/9262/1/MORprl88.pdf, could the quantum entanglement paper be tested by holding two entangled photons between plates to generate the Casimir effect, flood one of the photons with other photons and see if photons mysteriously appeared by the other entangled photon to test for wormhole activity?

I'm curious if such theoretical ideas are testable with our modern technology as I'm getting annoyed by hearing continously of the ongoing problems of unfalsifiability in theoretical physics.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Guthrie Prentice said:
I would say yes just because of the two authors. But "possible", since we're far from experimental checks as you say, isn't a big deal.

Guthrie Prentice said:
So I came across this paper claiming that quantum entanglement was an as yet not understood Einstein Rosen-Bridge: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1306.0533v2.pdf

I have two questions pertaining to this:

2. Since this paper: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00981257/document seems to show experimentally that the Casimir effect can warp space time in a way that Kip Thorne predicted for wormholes, http://authors.library.caltech.edu/9262/1/MORprl88.pdf, could the quantum entanglement paper be tested by holding two entangled photons between plates to generate the Casimir effect, flood one of the photons with other photons and see if photons mysteriously appeared by the other entangled photon to test for wormhole activity?

I'm curious if such theoretical ideas are testable with our modern technology as I'm getting annoyed by hearing continously of the ongoing problems of unfalsifiability in theoretical physics.

Thanks.

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Guthrie!

There are a number of different issues being raised here. The authors are not saying that all entanglement is due to relativistic features such as an Einstein Rosen bridge. They are asserting that exotic relativistic structures could exhibit entanglement. They also speculate that quantum gravity exists. No one knows if that is true or not.

This is some fairly advanced material on the edge of theory. So you should expect that the experimental conditions to test these may not be feasible anytime soon.

As to problems of falsifiability in theoretical physics: there are plenty of things being checked out every day. Each scientist has their own path to follow. But the frontiers of science grow constantly, and this is a very exciting time in the areas of entanglement and of general relativity (now celebrating its 100th anniversery).

Likes e.bar.goum
DrChinese said:
The authors are not saying that all entanglement is due to relativistic features such as an Einstein Rosen bridge.

Hmm they are suggesting that: "ER=EPR [...] we are going to take the radical position that in a theory of quantum gravity they are inseparably linked, even for systems consisting of no more than a pair of entangled particles."

ddd123 said:
Hmm they are suggesting that: "ER=EPR [...] we are going to take the radical position that in a theory of quantum gravity they are inseparably linked, even for systems consisting of no more than a pair of entangled particles."

Yes I saw that. That is part of their speculation about quantum gravity. This is a complicated premise of theirs. I would not call it established science in any respect. The authors are well-respected. You really must take this paper in a special light, this is not at all intended for the usual discussion. If you don't follow the subject of advanced general relativity and quantum gravity closely, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I would say that from the perspective of established science: there is absolutely no connection between any known type of entanglement and a pair of black holes.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become physically connected and share a state. This means that any change in one particle will result in an instantaneous change in the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when particles are created or interact in such a way that their properties become linked. This can happen through a process called quantum superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, or through quantum teleportation, where information is transferred between particles.

3. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel or shortcut through space-time that connects two distant points. It is a concept in theoretical physics that suggests the existence of a shortcut through space and time, which could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel and communication.

4. How are quantum entanglement and wormholes connected?

Some theories propose that quantum entanglement could be the key to creating and traversing wormholes. It is thought that by entangling particles at the entrance and exit of a wormhole, they can communicate and create a pathway through the wormhole, allowing for travel between two distant points in space-time.

5. Is there evidence that quantum entanglement is equivalent to a wormhole?

Currently, there is no direct evidence that quantum entanglement is equivalent to a wormhole. The concept is still highly theoretical and requires further research and experimentation. However, some studies have shown that entangled particles can exhibit wormhole-like behavior, providing some support for the idea.