Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does quantum entanglement in fact equal a wormhole?

1. Jan 12, 2016 #1
    So I came across this paper claiming that quantum entanglement was an as yet not understood Einstein Rosen-Bridge: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1306.0533v2.pdf

I have two questions pertaining to this:

1. Does the math on this paper actually check out and is this possible?

2. Since this paper: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00981257/document seems to show experimentally that the Casimir effect can warp space time in a way that Kip Thorne predicted for wormholes, http://authors.library.caltech.edu/9262/1/MORprl88.pdf, could the quantum entanglement paper be tested by holding two entangled photons between plates to generate the Casimir effect, flood one of the photons with other photons and see if photons mysteriously appeared by the other entangled photon to test for wormhole activity?

I'm curious if such theoretical ideas are testable with our modern technology as I'm getting annoyed by hearing continously of the ongoing problems of unfalsifiability in theoretical physics.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2
    I would say yes just because of the two authors. But "possible", since we're far from experimental checks as you say, isn't a big deal.

4. Jan 12, 2016 #3

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Guthrie!

There are a number of different issues being raised here. The authors are not saying that all entanglement is due to relativistic features such as an Einstein Rosen bridge. They are asserting that exotic relativistic structures could exhibit entanglement. They also speculate that quantum gravity exists. No one knows if that is true or not.

This is some fairly advanced material on the edge of theory. So you should expect that the experimental conditions to test these may not be feasible anytime soon.

As to problems of falsifiability in theoretical physics: there are plenty of things being checked out every day. Each scientist has their own path to follow. But the frontiers of science grow constantly, and this is a very exciting time in the areas of entanglement and of general relativity (now celebrating its 100th anniversery).

5. Jan 13, 2016 #4
    Hmm they are suggesting that: "ER=EPR [...] we are going to take the radical position that in a theory of quantum gravity they are inseparably linked, even for systems consisting of no more than a pair of entangled particles."

6. Jan 13, 2016 #5

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes I saw that. That is part of their speculation about quantum gravity. This is a complicated premise of theirs. I would not call it established science in any respect. The authors are well-respected. You really must take this paper in a special light, this is not at all intended for the usual discussion. If you don't follow the subject of advanced general relativity and quantum gravity closely, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I would say that from the perspective of established science: there is absolutely no connection between any known type of entanglement and a pair of black holes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook