Does reflection accompany refraction in Snell's law?

In summary, when a ray of light hits an interface between two different media, reflection will always take place except for when the incident angle is equal to the Brewster angle and the incoming polarization lies in the incident plane. However, in the case of mechanical waves (such as vibrations sent into the Earth), reflection will always occur regardless of any conditions. It is unclear if there is a Brewster angle for mechanical waves propagating through Earth layers.
Seismic101
If the the angle of incidence of an incident ray is less than (or equal to) the Critical Angle, the ray is refracted, but do we still get some reflection from this same incident ray?

Science news on Phys.org
Seismic101 said:
If the the angle of incidence of an incident ray is less than (or equal to) the Critical Angle, the ray is refracted, but do we still get some reflection from this same incident ray?
Hi Seismic101. :welcome:

Reflection like you see from a train window pane at night?

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Seismic101. :welcome:

Reflection like you see from a train window pane at night?

I am not sure. I wasn't really speaking about light although same principles apply, I guess? Please let me explain more.

In my field (O&G Exploration) we send vibrations into the Earth, and when this energy encounters the interface between Earth layers it follows Snell's Law. My question is: when the ray hits the interface at angle less than or equal to the Critical, we get refraction, but do we get some reflected rays as well?

I like the analogy you used! Thanks for the nice welcome!

Seismic101 said:
when the ray hits the interface at angle less than or equal to the Critical, we get refraction, but do we get some reflected rays as well?
In optics, when a ray of light hits an interface between two different media, reflection will always take place except for when the incident angle is equal to the Brewster angle and the incoming polarization lies in the incident plane. Since, the wave you are dealing with is of longitudinal waves where polarization is not relevant, I presume reflection will always take place regardless of any condition of the system.

blue_leaf77 said:
Since, the wave you are dealing with is of longitudinal waves where polarization is not relevant
The vibrations (mechanical waves) we send into the Earth can be longitudinal (particle motion in the direction of wave propagation) or transverse (particle motion is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation).

blue_leaf77 said:
except for when the incident angle is equal to the Brewster angle and the incoming polarization lies in the incident plane
Do you think this is true for any medium/ wave type? In other words, do you think there is a Brewster angle in the case of mechanical waves propagating through Earth layers?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

maybe this will help ?

Seismic_Reflection_Principal.png

cheers
Dave

1. What is Snell's law?

Snell's law is a formula used to describe the relationship between the angle of incidence and angle of refraction for a wave passing through a boundary between two different mediums, such as air and water.

2. Does reflection accompany refraction in Snell's law?

Yes, reflection can occur at the boundary between two mediums in Snell's law. This means that some of the incident wave is reflected back into the original medium instead of being refracted into the second medium.

3. How is reflection accounted for in Snell's law?

Reflection is accounted for in Snell's law by considering the incident angle and the refracted angle as well as the refractive indices of the two mediums. The refractive index is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it.

4. Can both reflection and refraction occur simultaneously in Snell's law?

Yes, both reflection and refraction can occur simultaneously in Snell's law. The amount of each depends on the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two mediums, and the polarization of the incident wave.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Snell's law?

Yes, Snell's law has many real-life applications in fields such as optics, astronomy, and oceanography. It is used to design lenses and prisms, predict the path of light in telescopes and microscopes, and understand the behavior of light in different depths of water.