Does resistance go up or down with an increase in temperature?

Femme_physics
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I had 2 people telling me 2 different things...so I don't know the real answer. Does resistance go up or down with an increase in temperature?

Answers and Replies

uart
Science Advisor
Yes it can go up or down. It depends on the material.

Femme_physics
Gold Member
Can it stay constant, too?

uart
Science Advisor
Can it stay constant, too?
Yes, at least approximately constant. That would be called a low temperature coefficient material.

Materials in which resistance increases with temperature are referred to as having a positive temperature coefficient. Most metals are in this category.

Materials in which resistance decreases with temperature are referred to as having a negative temperature coefficient. Most semiconductors are in this category.

In most metals, the resistance goes up with temperature. In semiconductors, the resistance actually decreases as temperature rises. I think resistivity will always change depending on temperature. But for some materials the change might be relatively small.

Actually Manganin is an alloy, which has a coefficient of resistivity of .000002. This is used for resistors because its change in resistivity due to temperature is very close to 0.

Last edited:
Femme_physics
Gold Member
The problem with wiki is that it tends to provide more than the needed information which often confuses the reader (i.e. me)... those answers here helped me though..thanks :)