1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Santa Monica College offer Electrical Engineering major?

1. Dec 27, 2013 #1
    Does Santa Monica College offer Electrical Engineering major? If so, do they have strong programs in electrical engineering? If not, then can you suggest me some community colleges that have strong programs in electrical engineering?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2013 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

A quick Google search will answer your question.

A CC will not offer an engineering degree, you need to transfer to a four year university.

4. Dec 28, 2013 #3
    But do they have good electrical engineering program?

5. Dec 28, 2013 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Who? In CC? You aren't going to do any engineering most likely. More likely, you will do your physics/math major prerequisites and do the actually engineering at university. Since you're a californian, you can transfer quite easily to the UC or CSU systems to complete the engineering program.

6. Dec 28, 2013 #5
    But can you finish community college in 1 year and then transfer to 4-year college to get your degree? I know that community colleges are 2 years but if you take multiple courses at a time and work hard, can you do it in one year?

7. Dec 28, 2013 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

60 seamster credits is considered minimum for transfer students, you can do less, but you'll also have less of a chance of being accepted - as well as needing to furnish high school transcripts.

No need to kill yourself, do two years, more if you require any remedial courses.

8. Dec 28, 2013 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you are going to ask questions, it is polite to read the answers.

9. Dec 28, 2013 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Santa Monica College has a web site where you can find out what courses they actually offer.

10. Dec 28, 2013 #9
    Thanks.

11. Dec 28, 2013 #10

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I went to their website and looked for him, as well as assist.org the nifty website California has set up.

So like I assumed, if you were to transfer to UCSD:http://web1.assist.org/web-assist/r...CC&oia=UCSD&aay=13-14&ay=13-14&dora=ELEC+ENGR

None of the engineering courses are articulated for UC, contrary to their website which says they have one articulated course: statics. Your best bet is to talk to the transfer department at the CC you enroll in and make it clear that you intend to transfer for engineering. The math/physics will keep you busy for two years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook