Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the derivation of the SHM formula require calculus?

1. Dec 22, 2008 #1
    It's not a homework question, but I wanted to attempt to derive it on my own. I was lookin for some clues online, and I believe I saw a website using derivatives.

Can it be done using pure algebra and trigonometry?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

There are a number of equations that apply to simple harmonic motion. Which one are you thinking of? And what do you want to derive it from?

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3
    yes,shm is equivalent to the projection of circular motion

5. Jan 17, 2009 #4
    Yes and no.

The "real" way, in my mind, does require calculus. I consider it the real way because it comes directly from F=ma. The calculus isn't that tough, though, its a pretty simple differential equation that says that m x == m x''.

What kof refers to is this:

[​IMG]

If you were to follow the path of a mass tracing out uniform circular motion, then the projection of the mass's x position would mimic that of a harmonic oscillator on the end of a spring.

Describing the position of the mass in terms of theta, then you can see that the harmonic oscillator equation works.

6. Jan 17, 2009 #5
    yeah,that's what i mean,in circular motion with constant speed,you can prove the x-component of centripetal force is proportional to the displacement along x-axis,with an opposite direction,i derived shm this way before i learned calculus

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?