Does the derivation of the SHM formula require calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deriving simple harmonic motion using pure algebra and trigonometry. While there are a number of equations that apply to simple harmonic motion, the "real" way to derive it involves calculus. This is because it directly comes from F=ma and can be represented by a simple differential equation. However, there is a graphical representation that shows the projection of circular motion is equivalent to simple harmonic motion. It is possible to derive simple harmonic motion from this graphical representation using algebra and trigonometry, as long as the circular motion is at a constant speed.
Elbobo
It's not a homework question, but I wanted to attempt to derive it on my own. I was lookin for some clues online, and I believe I saw a website using derivatives.

Can it be done using pure algebra and trigonometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a number of equations that apply to simple harmonic motion. Which one are you thinking of? And what do you want to derive it from?

yes,shm is equivalent to the projection of circular motion

Yes and no.

The "real" way, in my mind, does require calculus. I consider it the real way because it comes directly from F=ma. The calculus isn't that tough, though, its a pretty simple differential equation that says that m x == m x''.

What kof refers to is this:

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8670/demodt0.gif

If you were to follow the path of a mass tracing out uniform circular motion, then the projection of the mass's x position would mimic that of a harmonic oscillator on the end of a spring.

Describing the position of the mass in terms of theta, then you can see that the harmonic oscillator equation works.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah,that's what i mean,in circular motion with constant speed,you can prove the x-component of centripetal force is proportional to the displacement along x-axis,with an opposite direction,i derived shm this way before i learned calculus

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant frequency.

2. Why is calculus used to derive the SHM formula?

Calculus is used because SHM involves the concept of rates of change, and calculus provides the tools to analyze these rates of change. It allows us to calculate the velocity and acceleration of the object at any given point in its motion, which are key components in the SHM formula.

3. Can the SHM formula be derived without using calculus?

Yes, there are alternative methods to derive the SHM formula without using calculus. These methods involve using trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation. However, calculus provides a more efficient and rigorous approach to deriving the formula.

4. What are the key components of the SHM formula?

The key components of the SHM formula are the amplitude, frequency, and phase constant. The amplitude is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium point, the frequency is the number of oscillations per unit time, and the phase constant represents the starting position of the object at t=0.

5. Can the SHM formula be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the SHM formula can be applied to many real-life situations, such as the motion of a pendulum, a mass-spring system, or a vibrating guitar string. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to describe various natural phenomena.