Does the existence of a potential render a space inhomogeneous?

In summary, an inertial frame is a reference frame in which space and time are homogeneous and isotropic. This definition is commonly used in resources such as Landau and Lifshitz's Classical Mechanics. However, the introduction of a potential does not make space itself inhomogeneous. Instead, a potential creates pseudoforces and makes a frame non-inertial. On cosmological scales, an inhomogeneous space can be seen, and it would violate the conservation laws of momentum and energy. It is important to be clear about what aspect of space is being referred to as homogeneous, as it can lead to more complex concepts such as symmetry and gauge theories.
MuIotaTau
A common definition of an inertial frame is that it is a reference frame in which space and time are homogeneous and isotropic; see, for instance, Landau and Lifshitz's Classical Mechanics. L&L also use homogeneity and isotropy to justify the functional form of the Lagrangian. But intuitively, it seems like the introduction of a potential renders a field inhomogeneous. Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not by itself - no - but, if the gradient of the potential is not zero, and nothing else happens, then the object the frame is attached to is accelerating - making the frame non-inertial.

Can you provide a reference for the "common definition" of an inertial frame?
The vast majority of resources I have here just define it in terms of Newton's Laws.
i.e. Robert Resnick (1968) "Introduction to Special Relativity".

Likes 1 person
Thinking about it, I'm not actually sure that I know of any other pedagogical text that uses that definition, so it's possible that I've only really seen people reference that definition. Wikipedia uses it, but that's not very satisfactory. Thanks for the answer!

You'll also see that a reference frame can be non-inertial but space itself is homogeneous and isotropic.

Wikipedia says that time and space are described in an isotropic and homogeneous manner - the potential, in this description, is something that gets imposed over space. Having a potential does not make the space itself any different.

Even so - a characteristic of a non-inertial frame is the existence of pseudoforces ... i.e., it is as if the observer were in an inertial frame with an applied force-field.
Make more sense now?

Simon Bridge said:
You'll also see that a reference frame can be non-inertial but space itself is homogeneous and isotropic.

Wikipedia says that time and space are described in an isotropic and homogeneous manner - the potential, in this description, is something that gets imposed over space. Having a potential does not make the space itself any different.

Okay, I was beginning to think it was something like this, thank you. So what exactly would it look like if space itself were inhomogeneous?

Even so - a characteristic of a non-inertial frame is the existence of pseudoforces ... i.e., it is as if the observer were in an inertial frame with an applied force-field.
Make more sense now?

Ohhh, so a potential, which would produce a force field (right?) would create pseudoforces and make a frame non-inertial? So if I were in an accelerating reference frame, for instance, it would be as if there were a gravitation force field. But this wouldn't make space itself inhomogeneous? Am I understanding things correctly or am I still mixing something up?

So what exactly would it look like if space itself were inhomogeneous?
On cosmological scales, you are looking at it. It is a space in which classical mechanics does not work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneity_(physics)#Homogeneous_cosmology

Note: homogeneity in space means conservation of momentum, and homogeneity in time means conservation of energy. If space were not so arranged, then these laws would not hold everywhere.

Ohhh, so a potential, which would produce a force field (right?) would create pseudoforces and make a frame non-inertial? So if I were in an accelerating reference frame, for instance, it would be as if there were a gravitation force field. But this wouldn't make space itself inhomogeneous? Am I understanding things correctly or am I still mixing something up?
I think you are close enough to make sense of what you read - for now. ;)

In the context of classical mechanics ... we would consider, say, we can use an inertial observer to study the effects of, say, an electromagnetic potential well.

Newtonian gravity compares with being in a accelerating reference frame is a nice example.
But you do need to be careful about what it is about space that you are calling homogeneous.

It's a heady subject - leads to gauge theories and descriptions based on symmetry.
Take it slow.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a potential in a scientific context?

A potential, also known as a field potential, is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. It is a fundamental concept in physics that helps explain the behavior of electric fields.

2. How does a potential affect the homogeneity of a space?

A potential can cause a space to become inhomogeneous, meaning that certain regions of the space have different properties or characteristics than others. This is because the potential creates an uneven distribution of electric energy, which can lead to variations in the behavior of particles or objects within the space.

3. Can a potential exist without causing inhomogeneity?

Yes, a potential can exist in a space without necessarily causing inhomogeneity. This depends on the specific properties and characteristics of the potential, as well as the surrounding environment. In some cases, a potential can even contribute to creating a more homogeneous environment.

4. What are some examples of potential-induced inhomogeneity?

One example of potential-induced inhomogeneity is the electric potential created by a charged particle. This potential can cause nearby particles to experience a different force than those further away, resulting in an uneven distribution of particles in the space. Another example is the gravitational potential of a massive object, which can cause distortions in the space-time fabric.

5. How do scientists study the effects of potentials on space inhomogeneity?

Scientists study the effects of potentials on space inhomogeneity through various methods, including mathematical models and experimental observations. They may use equations and simulations to predict the behavior of particles in a potential, or they may conduct experiments in controlled environments to observe the effects of potentials on physical objects. These studies help scientists better understand the role of potentials in creating inhomogeneous spaces.