Does the focal length of a concave lens change in a different medium?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
Clyner791
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
My question is as follows:

Does the focal length of a concave lens change when put into a medium such as water?
Initially the focal length of the lens is 20 cm in air. Would it get larger or small in water?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Clyner791! :wink:

Tell us what you think, and then we'll comment! :smile:
 
I think the focal length will get larger. My reason for thinking this is because light rays diverge less in a more viscous medium? (I.e. they refract less?).
 
Clyner791 said:
I think the focal length will get larger. My reason for thinking this is because light rays diverge less in a more viscous medium? (I.e. they refract less?).

you'll need to explain it a lot better than that …

where is the image? where do the rays go?

what difference does it make whether it's concave or convex?​
 
In air: an object is placed 50 cm from the lens (concave) with a focal length 20cm. This produces an image 33.33 cm from the lens (again in air)

So, what change (if any) will occur to the focal length of the lens