Does the force applied to an object depend on its mass and velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of momentum and how it relates to the mass and velocity of objects. It is determined that objects with different masses and velocities can have the same momentum, but the force required to stop them may differ due to differences in kinetic energy. The concept of work is also mentioned in relation to stopping objects.
Karan Punjabi
I'm in a whole confusion that I want to understand momentum. If i consider object having mass 600 kg moving with a velocity 1 m/s and if another object with mass 60 kg moving with velocity 10 m/s the we say both objects have same momentum . so is it so like 60 kg mass has 10 times less inertia than 600 kg mass so if that object has 10 times more velocity then both mass and velocity balance each other and it is eqaully hard to stop both of them? Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Karan Punjabi said:
Am I right?
Yes, I think you are, provided that by "equally hard" you mean that the impulse (i.e. the product of force and duration of application of said force, assuming it to be constant) required to bring the objects to a stop has the same magnitude for both objects.

Krylov said:
Yes, I think you are, provided that by "equally hard" you mean that the impulse (i.e. the product of force and duration of application of said force, assuming it to be constant) required to bring the objects to a stop has the same magnitude for both objects.
Yes by EQUALLY HARD i mean that only...so that's why we say mass × velocity

Then from what you wrote I don't see any problem with your understanding.

Krylov said:
Then from what you wrote I don't see any problem with your understanding.
Yeah... I am understanding but i don't know why i am not satisfied.

Yes, although you also need to consider the potential energy of the objects. A 60 kg object moving at100 m/s has 300000 joules kinetic energy and a 600 kg object moving at 10 m/s has 30000 joules kinetic energy. The difference comes up in what you mean by "equally hard" as Krylov suggested. Same force and (time) duration of application but the force must be applied over a greater distance for the 60 kg object.

For me, satisfaction often comes from solving problems, for example by doing some well-designed exercises. Maybe you tried that already?

Likes nasu
Krylov said:
For me, satisfaction often comes from solving problems, for example by doing some well-designed exercises. Maybe you tried that already?
Yes i did some too

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, although you also need to consider the potential energy of the objects. A 60 kg object moving at100 m/s has 300000 joules kinetic energy and a 600 kg object moving at 10 m/s has 30000 joules kinetic energy. The difference comes up in what you mean by "equally hard" as Krylov suggested. Same force and (time) duration of application but the force must be applied over a greater distance for the 60 kg object.
I didn't caught you in the last point that force should be applied over a greater distance?

Karan Punjabi said:
I didn't caught you in the last point that force should be applied over a greater distance?
I think what @HallsofIvy justly pointed out, is that there are different ways to quantify how hard it is to stop the objects. In terms of impulse, stopping the objects is equally hard, but of course it is energetically more expensive to stop ##m_1## because initially the kinetic energy ##T_1## of object 1 (##60## kg, ##100##m/s) is ten times the kinetic energy ##T_2## of object 2 (##600##kg, ##10##m/s).

Since work done equals (constant) force times distance, and the change in kinetic energy is equal to the work done, you find that the distances traveled by the two masses since the moment the force was applied, are
$$
d_1 = \frac{T_1}{F} > \frac{T_2}{F} = d_2
$$
so indeed ##F## must be applied over a greater distance for object 1.

Krylov said:
I think what @HallsofIvy justly pointed out, is that there are different ways to quantify how hard it is to stop the objects. In terms of impulse, stopping the objects is equally hard, but of course it is energetically more expensive to stop ##m_1## because initially the kinetic energy ##T_1## of object 1 (##60## kg, ##100##m/s) is ten times the kinetic energy ##T_2## of object 2 (##600##kg, ##10##m/s).

Since work done equals (constant) force times distance, and the change in kinetic energy is equal to the work done, you find that the distances traveled by the two masses since the moment the force was applied, are
$$
d_1 = \frac{T_1}{F} > \frac{T_2}{F} = d_2
$$
so indeed ##F## must be applied over a greater distance for object 1.
Ohk...yeah that's a matter of kinetic energy i know...but still the force applied will be same

Related to Does the force applied to an object depend on its mass and velocity?

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is linear momentum calculated?

Linear momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula for linear momentum is p = m * v.

3. What is the unit of measurement for linear momentum?

The unit of measurement for linear momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s).

4. How is linear momentum conserved?

In a closed system, linear momentum is conserved, meaning the total momentum of all objects in the system remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

5. How is linear momentum related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the change in an object's linear momentum is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object. This relationship is described by the equation F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.