Does the Function Have an Inverse? A Theorem for Proving Inverse Functions

In summary: So, by saying that a and b must be equal to 0 in order to have an inverse function, it is shown that f does have an inverse.
iloveannaw

Homework Statement

Given the function

[tex]f(x) = \frac{ax+b}{cx+d}[/tex]

where [tex]f: \mathbb{R} \backslash \left\{ \frac{-d}{c} \right\} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/tex]

show that f is either a constant or has an inverse function.

I can see why this would be true. If a function takes all real numbers and returns all real numbers then it could either be a multiplying constant or have an inverse, e.g. x2
wouldn't work here because it only returns values greater than zero.

My question is is there a theorem or lemma or something that can help me prove this?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ah, i just found out about the bijective requirements for inverse functions – sorry we didn't cover this in class.

but I'm a bit confused injection and surjection seem quite the same. Isn't it enough to show that the function is one-to-one??

No, "injective" and "surjective" are not the same. For example, the cubic function [itex]f(x)= (x- a)(x- b)(x- c)[/itex] is surjective- given any number y, there exist an x such that f(x)= y. That is true because [itex]\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)= \infty[/itex], [itex]\lim_{x\to-\infty} f(x)= -\infty[/itex] and f is continuous.

But f is NOT injective: f(a)= f(b)= f(c).

Hi, thanks for the reply :smile:

Looking more at the given function i can show that it is indeed one-to-one. As to whether it is surjective I'm not really sure what my answer is telling me:

[tex]f\left(x\right) = \frac{ax+b}{cx+d} = \xi[/tex]

[tex]ax+b = cx\xi+d\xi[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{d\xi - b}{a - c\xi}[/tex]

where [tex]\xi, a, b, c, d \in \mathbb{R} [/tex]. The question states that

[tex]cd \neq 0[/tex], meaning that either a or b could be zero. If we say:

[tex]a = b = 0[/tex], then

[tex]x = \frac{-d}{c}[/tex], which is 'not allowed' as the original set excludes that term. What does this mean?
thanks

If a and b are both 0 then the original function is f(x)= 0, for all x, which has no inverse. Remember, the problem was to show that either f is a constant or has an inverse.

Related to Does the Function Have an Inverse? A Theorem for Proving Inverse Functions

What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that undoes the action of another function. For example, if a function f(x) takes a number and multiplies it by 2, the inverse function would divide a number by 2 to undo the action of f(x).

Why do we need to find inverse functions?

Inverse functions can be useful in solving equations and understanding the relationship between two variables. They can also help us find the original input value given an output value for a function.

How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, switch the x and y variables and solve for y. The resulting function will be the inverse. It is also important to check that the inverse function is a valid function by making sure that each x-value has only one corresponding y-value.

What is the notation for inverse functions?

The notation for an inverse function is f-1(x). This is read as "f inverse of x".

Are there any functions that don't have an inverse?

Yes, not all functions have an inverse. For a function to have an inverse, it must pass the horizontal line test, meaning that every horizontal line intersects the function at most once. If a function fails this test, it does not have an inverse.