Does the Limit Exist for the Function as (x, y) Approaches (1, 1)?

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Test
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a function (2y*x^2)/(4x^2-3y) as the point (x,y) approaches (1,1). There is disagreement about whether to consider approaching from different paths, but ultimately it is determined that the quotient is continuous in a neighborhood of (1,1) and therefore the limit exists and is equal to 2.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Does the limit of (2y*x^2)/(4x^2-3y) exist as (x,y) -> (1,1)? If so what is the limit?

The Attempt at a Solution

So at first I thought I could just plug (1,1) into the equation and get two. My study buddy said that you have to make sure it approaches the same thing from every direction else the limit DNE. If it approaches the limit from x=0 then it equals zero, and same with y. but if you take the limit with y=x then it comes out to two.

Are we overthinking this? Can't you just plug it in and ignore the "approaching from x=0" since x can't approach from zero because it goes to 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hang on, I had typos in my previous post. Will resubmit with corrections.

Your buddy is right that if you find different limits when approaching via different paths, then the limit does not exist.

If you put ##y = x^2## (I assume you meant this, not ##y=x##), then you get ##2x^4/x^2 = 2x^2##, which indeed approaches ##2## as ##x \rightarrow 1##.

However, "approaching via ##x=0##" makes no sense in this problem because then you won't approach the point ##(1,1)##.

Here's another approach to the problem. Note that there is no problem with the denominator as you approach ##(1,1)##. So the quotient is well defined in the vicinity of that point. The numerator and denominator are continuous functions of ##x## and ##y## (proof?), so the quotient is also continuous in a neighborhood of ##(1,1)##. What can you conclude?

Tell your study budy he is "overthinking" this. The only time there is a "problem" with a limit so that you need to check "along different paths" is if taking numerator and denominator separately go to 0 so that you get the "indeterminate form" 0/0. Here, that does not happen. In consequence, "the quotient is continuous in a neighorhood of (1, 1)" as jbunniii says.

Somehow I miss mentioning of one-side limits. I mean - you can have a one side limit(s) in the point, but no limit. Am I right?

Borek said:
Somehow I miss mentioning of one-side limits. I mean - you can have a one side limit(s) in the point, but no limit. Am I right?
The notion of one-sided limits is only applicable to functions of one variable. Here we have a function of two variables, so instead of only two possible directions to approach a point (from the left and the right) we have infinitely many paths. If you can find even two paths which disagree, then the limit doesn't exist. However, this can never happen if the function is continuous at the point of interest.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to Does the Limit Exist for the Function as (x, y) Approaches (1, 1)?

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input values approach a certain point. It represents the value that the function approaches, but may never actually reach, at that point.

2. How do you determine if a limit exists?

To determine if a limit exists, you need to evaluate the function at values that approach the given point from both sides. If these values approach the same number, then the limit exists. However, if the values approach different numbers, or if there is a discontinuity at the given point, then the limit does not exist.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as it approaches the given point from one direction, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of the function as it approaches the given point from both the left and the right simultaneously.

4. Can a limit exist even if the function is not defined at the given point?

Yes, a limit can exist even if the function is not defined at the given point. As long as the function approaches the same value from both sides, the limit exists. This is known as a removable discontinuity.

5. How is the concept of a limit used in calculus?

The concept of a limit is fundamental in calculus, as it allows us to define derivatives and integrals. Derivatives are the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a given point, and integrals represent the accumulation of a function over a given interval. Both of these concepts rely on the idea of a limit in order to be defined and calculated.