1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the regular GRE matter for physics?

Tags:
  1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    I plan to begin studying for the physics GRE no later than the beginning of August, but I hardly have any plans on studying for the regular GRE. After three years of physics I really can't imagine memorizing history dates and whatever other crap is on the regular GRE.

Do grad schools really look at your regular GRE scores and use them to reject people?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2
    Good gre scores won't get you in but bad ones will keep you out of grad school. Also, the gre doesn't test you on historical dates.

4. Jul 10, 2012 #3
    Don't completely bomb it.

5. Jul 10, 2012 #4
    Let's say you get in the 90th percentile on the Physics GRE but the 50th on the regular GRE. You apply to X grad school. Another person who also is in the 90th percentile in Physics but is in the 60th percentile on the regular GRE also applies to X grad school.

Who does the grad school choose?

Obviously there are other factors but getting a low score on something that they actually look at isn't usually a good idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook