Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the use the use of ε0 imply that it is for vacuum?

1. Jun 5, 2014 #1
    I found most literatures on Electrical or Magnetic fluxes maddeningly unclear about the MATERIAL in which the equations are applied. In free air only? or not?

I would like to know if the following 2 statements are true
    the electrical flux generated by a single charge will look the same in all (uniform) materials.
    the electrical field E generated by a single charge will change from one material to another depends on εr.

I m guessing maxwell equations are really for conductors and air?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##\epsilon_0## is for a vacuum. It is often used as an approximation in air since the relative permativity of air is very nearly 1.

You should be able to tell whether a vacuum is intended or not by the context.

Maxwels equations are for everywhere.
    Some people just write them out for the vacuum case.

4. Jun 6, 2014 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

In a formula, εo is always accompanied by εr.

Similarly, μo is always accompanied by μr.

If the relative constant is not explicitly shown, it is taken as unity (meaning its value in free space).

5. Jun 6, 2014 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The electric flux distribution will be the same for any one isotropic material only if the boundary conditions are perfect conductors and/or insulators, and the geometry is fixed.

6. Jun 6, 2014 #5
    OH WOW, so clear, thank you all. I am writing them down.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook