Predicting Water Spillage from Inclined Cubical Container

• Thread starter s0ft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of predicting whether or not water will spill out of a cubical container that is accelerating uniformly along a specific incline. The speaker also mentions knowing the expression for the angle the new water level makes with the old one, but is unsure about how to determine their point of intersection. The container in question is not full and the question is asked about whether the water will spill when the container is half full and being accelerated at 4ms-2 on a 15 degree incline along its length. The conversation also highlights the importance of specifying whether the long axis or short axis is pointing uphill in order to determine if the water will spill.
s0ft
Is it possible to predict whether or not water spills out of a cubical container accelerating uniformly along a specific incline?
I know the expression for the angle the new water level makes with the old one(horizontal).
But how do I know their point of intersection?
Note : Of course the container is not full.

Engineering news on Phys.org
s0ft said:
Is it possible to predict whether or not water spills out of a cubical container accelerating uniformly along a specific incline?
I know the expression for the angle the new water level makes with the old one(horizontal).
But how do I know their point of intersection?
Note : Of course the container is not full.
Could you be a little more vague? I can almost understand what you are asking but if you could just obfuscate the issue a bit more, I could be completely baffled :smile:

Ok. The actual question itself then.
An open cubical container with 2.5 m x 1 m base and 2 m height, half full with water is accelerated at 4ms-2 up on a 15 degree incline along its length. Will the water spill?

s0ft said:
Ok. The actual question itself then.
An open cubical container with 2.5 m x 1 m base and 2 m height, half full with water is accelerated at 4ms-2 up on a 15 degree incline along its length. Will the water spill?
Indeterminate since you have not specified whether the long axis or short axis is pointing uphill. Don't you think that might matter?

Oh, and by the way, you won't get any help here unless you show some work of your own. I'm just trying to get you to post a question that HAS an answer.

EDIT: DOH ! You DID say "along it's length". I can't read.

Last edited:

I can say that it is possible to predict whether or not water will spill out of a cubical container accelerating uniformly along a specific incline. This can be done by using mathematical equations and principles of fluid mechanics. The expression for the angle the new water level makes with the old one (horizontal) can be calculated using the law of cosines. However, determining the point of intersection between the new and old water levels may require further analysis and experimental data. Factors such as the initial volume of water in the container, the shape and size of the container, and the rate of acceleration must also be taken into account. Further research and experimentation may be necessary to accurately predict the point of intersection and whether or not water will spill out of the container.

What is the purpose of predicting water spillage from an inclined cubical container?

The purpose of predicting water spillage from an inclined cubical container is to understand and anticipate the behavior of water when it is contained within a tilted object. This can be useful in various industries, such as transportation and engineering, where containers may need to be moved or positioned at an angle.

What factors affect water spillage from an inclined cubical container?

The factors that can affect water spillage from an inclined cubical container include the angle of the incline, the dimensions of the container, the volume of water, and the surface properties of the container. Other external factors, such as wind or vibrations, may also play a role.

How can water spillage from an inclined cubical container be predicted?

Water spillage from an inclined cubical container can be predicted by using mathematical equations and formulas that take into account the various factors that affect the behavior of water on an incline. These calculations can be done manually or with the help of computer simulations.

What are some real-world applications of predicting water spillage from an inclined cubical container?

The prediction of water spillage from an inclined cubical container can be useful in applications such as designing and positioning water tanks on ships, predicting the behavior of water in drainage systems, and ensuring the stability of containers during transportation.

What are some limitations of predicting water spillage from an inclined cubical container?

Some limitations of predicting water spillage from an inclined cubical container include variations in the properties of water, such as temperature and viscosity, which can affect its behavior. Additionally, external factors such as human error or unforeseen environmental conditions may also impact the accuracy of predictions.