1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the water spill?

1. Dec 31, 2014 #1
    Is it possible to predict whether or not water spills out of a cubical container accelerating uniformly along a specific incline?
    I know the expression for the angle the new water level makes with the old one(horizontal).
    But how do I know their point of intersection?
    Note : Of course the container is not full.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Could you be a little more vague? I can almost understand what you are asking but if you could just obfuscate the issue a bit more, I could be completely baffled :smile:

4. Dec 31, 2014 #3
    Ok. The actual question itself then.
    An open cubical container with 2.5 m x 1 m base and 2 m height, half full with water is accelerated at 4ms-2 up on a 15 degree incline along its length. Will the water spill?

5. Dec 31, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Indeterminate since you have not specified whether the long axis or short axis is pointing uphill. Don't you think that might matter?

Oh, and by the way, you won't get any help here unless you show some work of your own. I'm just trying to get you to post a question that HAS an answer.

EDIT: DOH !! You DID say "along it's length". I can't read.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook