Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the Z boson couple to photons?

1. Apr 16, 2010 #1
    Hi I can't find a Feynman rule for the coupling of two Z bosons to a photon. Does the Z boson couple to a photon at all?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

4. Apr 16, 2010 #3
    You can get Z+Z -> gamma + gamma.
  5. Apr 16, 2010 #4
    zz to fermion to 2gamma

zzA is not in the SM lagrangian
  6. Apr 16, 2010 #5

Science Advisor

That's what I say: the only direct vertex is

W+ + W- => Z0 + Photon

but via intermediate states you can get (nearly) anything you like.
  7. Apr 16, 2010 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

There are no all-neutral gauge boson couplings in the SM.

It's easiest to see this by working in the w1, w2, w3, B basis rather than the W+/-, Z, A basis.

Tom is right, these can appear at loop level, but these will be second-order weak and GIM surpressed. However, you still have to comply with conservation laws. For example, you can't get any electric dipole radiation because the Z is neutral. I need to think more about magnetic dipole and electric quadrupole.
  8. May 3, 2010 #7
    The coupling of gauge bosons self interaction in non-abelian gauge theory is proportional to f_{abc}, i.e. only diffrent bosons can interact. So, no Z-Z-A and no Z-Z-Z interactions. You can also think that photon only couple to charged particles directly.
  9. May 4, 2010 #8

Science Advisor

I do not see how this applies directly. In the el.-weak theory we have U(1)*SU(N); in addition the photon is "mixed" according to the original basis.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook