1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does this proof for irrationality of sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) work?

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that [tex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/tex] is irrational.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So we know that [tex](\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})(\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}) = 1[/tex]. But a rational number must be of the form a/b, and if (a/b)c = 1, the only number c that works (for rational numbers) is c = b/a in reduced form due to unique inverses for rational numbers. But here we have a value of c that is NOT of the form c = b/a. And so once we prove that [tex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/tex] is NOT [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}}[/tex], we can only conclude that [tex](\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})[/tex] is irrational.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

No, this won't do it, because by claiming that [tex] c = \sqrt 3 - \sqrt 2 [/tex] is not a rational number you are making an assumption of precisely the type of thing you are trying to prove.

As an alternate start, try this. Assume, to the contrary, that [tex] \sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3 [/tex] is rational. Then there are integers [tex], a, b [/tex] such that

[tex]
    \sqrt 3 + \sqrt 2 = \frac a b
    [/tex]

Square each side

[tex]
    3 + 2\sqrt 6 + 2 = \frac{a^2}{b^2}
    [/tex]

Rewrite this to isolate [tex] \sqrt 6 [/tex] - you will see that you assumption says something about the type of number [tex] \sqrt 6 [/tex] is. Go from there.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually I don't even understand what the OP is asking. It seems as though he/she is trying to prove this:
    which it is.

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

Simfish

Gold Member

Okay thanks to you both! Sorry I was wrong - yeah - my argument was circular (and was contingent on a wrong assumption too - one that I forgot to check). So i'll go along with your suggestion.

6. Oct 1, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you already know that [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]1/\sqrt{3}[/itex] are irrational- or, equivalently, that [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] are irrational are you allowed to use those facts? If so, that simplifies the problem enormously.

7. Oct 1, 2008 #6

Simfish

Gold Member

Yeah, I already know from the book (apostol math analysis) that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational. But I'm not sure whether or not I know that [tex]\sqrt{6}[/tex] is irrational or not - but this can be easily proven using the same techniques as those involved in [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]. I got it now - thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?