Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Does this proof for irrationality of sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) work?

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that [tex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/tex] is irrational.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So we know that [tex](\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})(\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}) = 1[/tex]. But a rational number must be of the form a/b, and if (a/b)c = 1, the only number c that works (for rational numbers) is c = b/a in reduced form due to unique inverses for rational numbers. But here we have a value of c that is NOT of the form c = b/a. And so once we prove that [tex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/tex] is NOT [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}}[/tex], we can only conclude that [tex](\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})[/tex] is irrational.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

No, this won't do it, because by claiming that [tex] c = \sqrt 3 - \sqrt 2 [/tex] is not a rational number you are making an assumption of precisely the type of thing you are trying to prove.

As an alternate start, try this. Assume, to the contrary, that [tex] \sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3 [/tex] is rational. Then there are integers [tex], a, b [/tex] such that

[tex]
    \sqrt 3 + \sqrt 2 = \frac a b
    [/tex]

Square each side

[tex]
    3 + 2\sqrt 6 + 2 = \frac{a^2}{b^2}
    [/tex]

Rewrite this to isolate [tex] \sqrt 6 [/tex] - you will see that you assumption says something about the type of number [tex] \sqrt 6 [/tex] is. Go from there.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually I don't even understand what the OP is asking. It seems as though he/she is trying to prove this:
    which it is.

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

Simfish

Gold Member

Okay thanks to you both! Sorry I was wrong - yeah - my argument was circular (and was contingent on a wrong assumption too - one that I forgot to check). So i'll go along with your suggestion.

6. Oct 1, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Do you already know that [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]1/\sqrt{3}[/itex] are irrational- or, equivalently, that [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] are irrational are you allowed to use those facts? If so, that simplifies the problem enormously.

7. Oct 1, 2008 #6

Simfish

Gold Member

Yeah, I already know from the book (apostol math analysis) that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational. But I'm not sure whether or not I know that [tex]\sqrt{6}[/tex] is irrational or not - but this can be easily proven using the same techniques as those involved in [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]. I got it now - thanks :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook