1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Does white noise impair studying, reading or recall/memor?

1. Dec 20, 2017 #1
    Hi, I recently have been trying to look into whether or not white noise works as a means to block out external sounds so i can concentrate. However, I want to know whether it actually impairs studying and reading. I do not care if it has no benefit, as long as it has no negative effects.

I am trying to block out the sounds of my brother through the walls when he is playing his xbox. As I am hyper-sensitive to noise and any abrupt noises what so ever throw me out of my concentration.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2017 #2
  4. Dec 20, 2017 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have the right idea of drowning out abrupt noises -- I have the same issue with learning, or just thinking clearly and reading, etc.

a box fan is great for studying, reading, thinking, etc.

I like headphones and music too, though I know this is hit or miss with a lot of people. (Some people I know can't do any music, some can do music without lyrics -- e.g. classical music, some like me listen to most anything).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted