Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dog Flu

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I thought I should bring this to everyone's attention.

Dog Flu Spreads Worry Nationwide

Updated 10:51 AM ET September 27, 2005

A newly discovered virus has killed dogs in at least seven states, and veterinarians, kennel operators and pet owners are concerned because researchers say there is no vaccine and dogs do not have immunity to the new flu.

"The concern is that the dog population on the North American continent is wholly 100 percent susceptible," Crawford said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=1152491&page=1

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2
    I wish the article said which states have already been affected. But to be on the safe side, my little social butterfly will stay at home.
    Thanks for the info.

4. Sep 27, 2005 #3

Astronuc

A New Deadly, Contagious Dog Flu Virus Is Detected in 7 States
    By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr. and CARIN RUBENSTEIN (NY Times, Sep 22)

5. Sep 27, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Better make sure your dogs wash their paws after sniffing each others' butts. :uhh: Or something like that.

6. Sep 27, 2005 #5

Mk

Well, its obviously not very bad because they would say if it would soon be a world-wide epidemic and how some species of dogs will die out and everything.

7. Sep 27, 2005 #6

Evo

How can you say it's not very bad? They just discovered it. It sounds extremely contagious, have you had a chance to read the article? I'm sure animals leaving the US will be under strict quarantine to prevent spread.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  8. Sep 27, 2005 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for this information. Lots of my friends have dogs, so I will pass this on to them.

9. Sep 27, 2005 #8

Astronuc

The fact that the virus may have mutated from a virus normally found in horses is pretty serious. What if it were to mutate into a variant of influenza found in pigs (e.g. swine flu) or birds (e.g. avian flu).

Humans may not get 'horse' flu or 'dog' flu, but all it takes is for the virus to get to pigs or chickens/ducks/geese, and we might have a problem.

from WebMD.

WebMD also indicates
    and now it apparently has been found in 10 states, perhaps 11 or 12 if confirmed in NJ and NY.

10. Sep 28, 2005 #9

Mk

I read an article from Reuters, it didn't sound very bad. :blushing: You make me feel bad!

11. Sep 28, 2005 #10
    its so sad, huhu.:frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?