Domain Wall Geometries: Continuous Coordinates, Discontinuous Metric

In summary, according to the speaker, one can choose to use a coordinate chart where the coordinate values change continuously from event to event, or one can use a coordinate chart where the coordinate values are discontinuous. However, this option is not always possible, as it would violate a basic requirement of a coordinate chart.
Roy_1981
Hi all, I need some help regarding domain wall geometries, essentially a bubble of some spacetime (say deSiiter or flat) inside another kind, say anti-deSitter. For simplicity it is spherical symmetric situation and we are intent on using Schwarzschild like static coordinates. So now I am used to the set up where the metric is continuous across the (infinitely thin) domain wall/bubble wall, while the static time coordinate is discontinuous across while the radial coordinate is a global (continuous) coordinate.

But I have heard that one can also set up coordinates so that the metric is discontinuous while BOTH the static coordinates "r" and "t" are continuous. My problem is I can't seem to locate a reference where this is done or illustrated. All the references I can locate use continuous metric and discontinuous coordinates.

I would tremendously appreciate if any of you forum members/user can suggest a reference on "continuous coordinates/ discontinuous metric" choice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Roy_1981 said:
the static time coordinate is discontinuous

I don't understand what this means. If you are using a single coordinate chart, the coordinate values must change continuously from event to event everywhere in the chart. So a discontinuous coordinate appears to violate a basic requirement of a coordinate chart.

Roy_1981 said:
I have heard that one can also set up coordinates so that the metric is discontinuous

This would also violate a basic requirement of a coordinate chart.

Just as idealized situations with surface charge layers and distributional (delta function) volume charge densities, and with electric field discontinuities are useful in undergrad electromagnetism, mass hypersurface layers with metric component discontinuities and distributional stress-energy tensors are useful in general relativity, e.g., for domain walls. This is called the the thin shell/junction condition formalism.

Hi George Jones,

Indeed you are in the right direction. In case of gravity you can integrate Einstein equation across the shell to obtain junction conditions, relating metric derivatives to matter on thin shell. But what I asked is a bit different - its about a choice of gauge (coordinates) and as I mentioned there are two choices (perhaps more) to parametrize the geometry. atm I just can't seem to locate any reference which uses the second gauge choice.

Related to Domain Wall Geometries: Continuous Coordinates, Discontinuous Metric

1. What are domain wall geometries?

Domain wall geometries refer to the geometric structures that arise when there is a discontinuous change in the metric of a given space. This can occur when there is a transition between different phases of matter or when there is a change in the curvature of the space.

2. How are continuous coordinates used in domain wall geometries?

In domain wall geometries, continuous coordinates are used to describe the smooth, continuous regions of the space. These coordinates are used to define the metric of the space and determine how it changes across the domain wall.

3. What is the significance of discontinuous metric in domain wall geometries?

The discontinuous metric in domain wall geometries is significant because it marks the boundary between different regions of the space with different geometric properties. This can lead to interesting physical phenomena, such as the formation of topological defects.

4. Can domain wall geometries be visualized?

Yes, domain wall geometries can be visualized using various mathematical techniques, such as embedding diagrams or computer simulations. These visualizations can help researchers better understand the structure and behavior of these complex systems.

5. How are domain wall geometries relevant to physics?

Domain wall geometries have important applications in various areas of physics, including cosmology, condensed matter physics, and high-energy physics. They can help us understand the properties of different phases of matter, the behavior of cosmic strings and other topological defects, and the nature of spacetime itself.