Don't forget to turn your clocks back

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clocks
In summary, the conversation was mainly about the end of daylight saving time and how it affects different people's schedules. Some joked about the confusion it caused, while others discussed their plans for the extra hour. Moonbear shared her experience of having to take blood samples from sheep and the challenges of coordinating it with the time change. There was also some banter about her strength and new mentor status. Overall, the conversation revolved around the time change and its impact on everyone's lives.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
It's that time of hear folks :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
We get an extra hour right?

Yah, which is stupid because it should be done on sunday night so we all get the extra hour when we REALLY need it (an extra hour before work/school)

Don't forget to turn your clocks back!

Every day, like clockwork!

I don't have DST :tongue:

arizona wins, yet again

Ohh yeah I forgot: Arizona declared a while back that their citizens are too stupid to understand DST :tongue2:

mattmns said:
We get an extra hour right?
You all do. I'm in the middle of an experiment, so the actual time on the clock is irrelevant. We will have Eastern Time and Experiment Time here. :rolleyes: :grumpy: It was rather challenging figuring out how to put together this schedule, and fortunately, it turned out that I could arrange it so the 2 AM samples aren't collected until Monday night, so now they are 1 AM samples and I'm the only one who has to keep track that 7 AM really is 12 hours after 8 PM.

... What?

Someone explain what moonbear just said in English.

Smurf said:
... What?
Someone explain what moonbear just said in English.
I have to take blood samples from sheep for the next 4 days, all timed relative to the injection they got today. So, while all the rest of you are sleeping in an extra hour tomorrow, I have to be at the farm taking a sample at 7 AM instead of 8 AM (12 hours from the injection given at 8 PM tonight). I don't get to appreciate the time change with an extra hour of sleep. Did I make more sense this time? It might be the last I make sense until Thursday...it'll be another week of sleep-deprivation for me.

Moonbear said:
it'll be another week of sleep-deprivation for me.
Sounds like what you need is a bit of sheep-deprivation. :wink: :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I have to take blood samples from sheep for the next 4 days, all timed relative to the injection they got today. So, while all the rest of you are sleeping in an extra hour tomorrow, I have to be at the farm taking a sample at 7 AM instead of 8 AM (12 hours from the injection given at 8 PM tonight). I don't get to appreciate the time change with an extra hour of sleep. Did I make more sense this time? It might be the last I make sense until Thursday...it'll be another week of sleep-deprivation for me.
yeah I get it.

Evo said:
:rofl: Tell me about it! My back is already killing me from lifting a 112 kg (that's almost 250 lbs for the metric-challenged) sheep yesterday (with help, but not enough help). I came home yesterday and fell asleep on the couch before even making dinner, then had to struggle to stay awake just to heat up some soup. I really could use that extra hour of sleep, and I'm not going to get it. :cry:

Well it is good that we are going back. The last few nights I have been sleeping a little later than I should, and now today I will be back on track for a while.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Tell me about it! My back is already killing me from lifting a 112 kg (that's almost 250 lbs for the metric-challenged) sheep yesterday (with help, but not enough help). I came home yesterday and fell asleep on the couch before even making dinner, then had to struggle to stay awake just to heat up some soup. I really could use that extra hour of sleep, and I'm not going to get it. :cry:
250lbs, WHAT? I must have missed your huge biceps in your picture :smile:

mattmns said:
hmm maybe that's because they'r of her FACE!

mattmns said:
:biggrin: Yep, I'm in sheep shape now. (Aw, these jokes would make Ivan proud. :tongue2:)

I had someone to help with the lifting, but she was a monster, and I think I got the heavy end (they are usually around 70 kg...more like 150 lb that two people can easily lift). Between the stair-climbing from the parking lot (I can almost get to the top without getting winded now) and the sheep lifting, they're making sure I get a good workout around here.

Evo said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
:biggrin: Yep, I'm in sheep shape now.
:rofl: Oh damn, we're good!

whozum said:
arizona wins, yet again

Werd 10chars

mattmns said:
Ohh yeah I forgot: Arizona declared a while back that their citizens are too stupid to understand DST :tongue2:
Guam doesn't have daylight savings time either, not because we're too stupid, but because the messenger hasn't gotten here yet.

I hope he can swim. :uhh:

So should something have changed now? Is it really approaching midnight rather than 1?

supposedly at 2am you switch back to 1am

YEah its 1:37 but some posts on the HW forum were posted at 1:44 + :O

True. I lived through two one AMs today. Now I'm very confused.

So do bars close twice or what?

I forgot to turn my clock back and have got up an hour early. And on a Sunday:cry: :cry: :cry: :zzz:

Not only is Moonbear now one of those scary female bodybuilders, she's got a green name and is a mentor? How did this happen?

The times they are a changing, and I'm not so sure I like it!

Today I slept til 12, but I don't have to feel so bad about it as it turns out I only slept til 11 :biggrin:

brewnog said:
Not only is Moonbear now one of those scary female bodybuilders, she's got a green name and is a mentor? How did this happen?
The times they are a changing, and I'm not so sure I like it!
:rofl: I'm not a scary female bodybuilder! I'm not some puny, wimpy person, but I'm definitely not a bodybuilder...that's a scary look.

But, yeah, I turned green somewhat recently. :biggrin:

whozum said:
So do bars close twice or what?
I guess it's too late to do you any good until next year, but usually it's a popular bar night because you get an extra hour of drinking before closing time. :cool:

What does "turning your clocks back" mean?

"Turning your clocks back" refers to the practice of adjusting the time on your clocks to account for daylight saving time. This means setting your clocks back by one hour in the fall when daylight saving time ends.

Why do we have to turn our clocks back?

Daylight saving time was originally implemented to save energy and make better use of daylight hours. By turning our clocks back in the fall, we are able to take advantage of natural daylight for longer periods of time.

When do we have to turn our clocks back?

In most parts of the United States, daylight saving time ends on the first Sunday in November. However, some areas may have different start and end dates for daylight saving time, so it is important to check your local time zone.

What happens if I forget to turn my clocks back?

If you forget to turn your clocks back, you will likely be an hour early for any scheduled events or appointments. It is important to remember to turn your clocks back to avoid any confusion and ensure you are on time.

Do all countries observe daylight saving time?

No, not all countries observe daylight saving time. Some countries do not see a significant benefit from changing their clocks, while others may have different methods of adjusting for daylight hours. It is important to research the daylight saving time practices of the country you are in or traveling to.