1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dont know how to use capcitor or its uses

1. Aug 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Picture1.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried to ignore the capcitor and i got 2.5 amp bec i dont know how to use capcitor or its uses

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2013 #2
    Time to open a book then!

4. Aug 23, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is this really nifty facility called "Google Search". You would be well advised to learn how to use it.

5. Aug 23, 2013 #4
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_constant

After one time constant the capacitor will be charged to about 0.632 * 500V.
    Now you just need to calculate the voltage that drops over the resistor and devide that by 200 Ohm.

6. Aug 23, 2013 #5
    do i have to say every time i post something that these questions are just out of book and i need quick answers my book doesnt contain alot of info about the capacitor your posts arent helpful i am in vacation i just solve these questions to apply for a university test which will contain questions from many books not in my high school unfortunately and when i googled it i found really complex things :mad:

7. Aug 23, 2013 #6
    do you mean that the final voltage will be 500-316=184 and current will be 0.92 amp or i have to do something else thx for your help dr i really appreciate it but my friend told me that the resulting voltage will be opposite in direction to that of battery can you explain how the capcitor work thx.

8. Aug 23, 2013 #7
    There's your problem right there.

"There is no royal road to learning"

http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/brewers/royal-road-to-learning.html

9. Aug 23, 2013 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted