Don't understand the fundamentals of this problem using MVT

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a polynomial with degree n and its intersection with a curve defined by y=p(x). A new function h(x) is introduced to help find solutions to the equation p(x)=e^x. The conversation also talks about the nth derivative of a polynomial being a constant and how differentiating h(x) leads to h^(n)(x)=0, which has only one possible solution. The use of the Mean Value Theorem is also mentioned in finding the roots of h(x).
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

http://prntscr.com/daze68

What I don't understand:

1. "P be a polynomial with degree n"
do these equations satisfy this description?:
$$p(x) = (x^2 + x)^n$$
$$p(x) = (5x^2 + 2x)^n$$
etc.
2. "C1 is a curve defined by y=p(x)"
c1 is essentially just the curve of the polynomial?

3. p(x) = e^x
This is meant to find points of intersection(which are also called roots? Correct me if I'm wrong) right? That there are n solutions to this?

4. h(x) = p(x) - e^x
Where does this h(x) function come from? I thought this would equal to 0 if you rearrange the equation from
3. Is it just a function introduced for the sake of answering this problem?

5. "Since p is of degree n, the nth derivative is just a constant"
What is this saying? That after differentiation n is still a constant? Since it's a polynomial it has to be some constant to begin wtih right?

6. How do they go from h(x) = p(x) - e^x to h^(n)(x) = 0 and why does it have only one solution/root?
If you differentiate then it becomes h'(x) = p'(x) - e^x right?

I know that the MVT states( i think ) that the derivative will have n-1 roots. There exists a root between the interval of its original function but how does that apply here? Sorry if this is inappropiate for a question i just don't understand the problem at its core.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arnoldjavs3 said:

Homework Statement

http://prntscr.com/daze68

What I don't understand:

1. "P be a polynomial with degree n"
do these equations satisfy this description?:
$$p(x) = (x^2 + x)^n$$
$$p(x) = (5x^2 + 2x)^n$$
etc.
No. They are of degree ##2n##.
2. "C1 is a curve defined by y=p(x)"
c1 is essentially just the curve of the polynomial?
Yes, or better: the graph ## \{ (x,p(x)) \, \vert \, x \in \mathbb{R}\}## of the polynomial.
3. p(x) = e^x
This is meant to find points of intersection(which are also called roots? Correct me if I'm wrong) right? That there are n solutions to this?
Yes. The term root means "solution of the equation". And at most ##n##. There might be less.
4. h(x) = p(x) - e^x
Where does this h(x) function come from? I thought this would equal to 0 if you rearrange the equation from
3. Is it just a function introduced for the sake of answering this problem?
Just a definition. It is a "help" function. Instead of looking for solutions of ##p(x)=e^x## we now may look for zeroes of ##h(x)##.
So, the answer is yes. ##e^x## looks like a bent ##x-##axis. So the goal is to show, that what applies to the flat version also applies to the curved version.
5. "Since p is of degree n, the nth derivative is just a constant"
What is this saying? That after differentiation n is still a constant? Since it's a polynomial it has to be some constant to begin wtih right?
I don't understand what's your issue here. ##x^n## becomes ##const. \, x^1## after ##n-1## differentiations, ##const.## after ##n## and ##0## after ##n+1## differentiations. ##n## as the exponent is reduced by ##1## with every differentiation. But the (constant) coefficients of the highest term changes, however only from one constant to another, e.g. ##2x^n \rightarrow 2nx^{n-1} \rightarrow 2n(n-1)x^{n-2} \rightarrow \ldots ##
6. How do they go from h(x) = p(x) - e^x to h^(n)(x) = 0 and why does it have only one solution/root?
If you differentiate then it becomes h'(x) = p'(x) - e^x right?
Yes, and if you do it ##n## times, then it reads ##h^{(n)}(x)=const. \, - \, e^x## which has only one point, where ##h^{(n)}=0## is possible. (Why?)
I know that the MVT states( i think ) that the derivative will have n-1 roots. There exists a root between the interval of its original function but how does that apply here? Sorry if this is inappropiate for a question i just don't understand the problem at its core.
The trick is to go upwards again from ##h^{(n)}=0## since ##h^{n}(x) = h'\, (h^{(n-1)}(x) = 0## and climb back to ##h(x)## of which we want to find at most ##n## zeroes (roots). But I haven't read nor done the proof, so this is to be taken with a grain of salt.

1. What is MVT?

MVT stands for Mean Value Theorem, which is a fundamental theorem in calculus. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists a point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints.

2. Why is understanding MVT important?

MVT is important because it provides a key tool for analyzing the behavior of functions in calculus. It helps us understand the relationship between the slope of a curve and the value of the function at specific points, which can be useful in solving problems involving optimization, rates of change, and more.

3. How do I apply MVT to a problem?

To apply MVT to a problem, you first need to identify whether the conditions of the theorem are met (i.e. the function is continuous and differentiable on a closed interval). Then, you can use the theorem to find the point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line. This can provide valuable information for solving the problem at hand.

4. What if I don't understand the fundamentals of a problem using MVT?

If you are struggling to understand how to apply MVT to a problem, it may be helpful to review the basic concepts of derivatives and continuity in calculus. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher who can provide more guidance and practice problems.

5. Can MVT be used in other areas of math or science?

MVT is a specific theorem in calculus, but its concept of comparing slopes can be applied in other areas of math and science. For example, it can be used to analyze the behavior of functions in physics, economics, and engineering. However, the conditions of the theorem may not always be met in these other areas, so it is important to understand the limitations of MVT when applying it to other contexts.