1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't understand the fundamentals of this problem using MVT

1. Nov 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://prntscr.com/daze68

What I don't understand:

1. "P be a polynomial with degree n"
    do these equations satisfy this description?:
    $$p(x) = (x^2 + x)^n$$
    $$p(x) = (5x^2 + 2x)^n$$
    etc.
    2. "C1 is a curve defined by y=p(x)"
    c1 is essentially just the curve of the polynomial?

3. p(x) = e^x
    This is meant to find points of intersection(which are also called roots? Correct me if i'm wrong) right? That there are n solutions to this?

4. h(x) = p(x) - e^x
    Where does this h(x) function come from? I thought this would equal to 0 if you rearrange the equation from
    3. Is it just a function introduced for the sake of answering this problem?

5. "Since p is of degree n, the nth derivative is just a constant"
    What is this saying? That after differentiation n is still a constant? Since it's a polynomial it has to be some constant to begin wtih right?

6. How do they go from h(x) = p(x) - e^x to h^(n)(x) = 0 and why does it have only one solution/root????
    If you differentiate then it becomes h'(x) = p'(x) - e^x right?

I know that the MVT states( i think ) that the derivative will have n-1 roots. There exists a root between the interval of its original function but how does that apply here? Sorry if this is inappropiate for a question i just don't understand the problem at its core.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

No. They are of degree ##2n##.
    Yes, or better: the graph ## \{ (x,p(x)) \, \vert \, x \in \mathbb{R}\}## of the polynomial.
    Yes. The term root means "solution of the equation". And at most ##n##. There might be less.
    Just a definition. It is a "help" function. Instead of looking for solutions of ##p(x)=e^x## we now may look for zeroes of ##h(x)##.
    So, the answer is yes. ##e^x## looks like a bent ##x-##axis. So the goal is to show, that what applies to the flat version also applies to the curved version.
    I don't understand what's your issue here. ##x^n## becomes ##const. \, x^1## after ##n-1## differentiations, ##const.## after ##n## and ##0## after ##n+1## differentiations. ##n## as the exponent is reduced by ##1## with every differentiation. But the (constant) coefficients of the highest term changes, however only from one constant to another, e.g. ##2x^n \rightarrow 2nx^{n-1} \rightarrow 2n(n-1)x^{n-2} \rightarrow \ldots ##
    Yes, and if you do it ##n## times, then it reads ##h^{(n)}(x)=const. \, - \, e^x## which has only one point, where ##h^{(n)}=0## is possible. (Why?)
    The trick is to go upwards again from ##h^{(n)}=0## since ##h^{n}(x) = h'\, (h^{(n-1)}(x) = 0## and climb back to ##h(x)## of which we want to find at most ##n## zeroes (roots). But I haven't read nor done the proof, so this is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted