Have you seen Pacific Rim? What did you think of it?

In summary, the new Doom movie is better than the original Doom movie by the Rock. It is scary and has elements of the horror genre similar to those in the book, Event Horizon, and the movie Hellraiser.
new6ton
Doom: Annihilation 2019 has just been released October 1, 2019 and I just watched it.

I think it is better than the Original Doom flick by the Rock. What is your thought?

This is the synopsis (it's not a spoiler): "Follows a group of UAC Marines as they respond to a distress call from a top secret scientific base on Phobos, a Martian moon, only to discover it's been overrun by demons who threaten to create Hell on Earth."

While watching it. I was thinking of the movie Event Horizon and feel the horror what if Area 51 was experimenting on something similar which open dimensional gateways that let in the hellish creatures reported all over the world (greys, insectoids, reptoids, etc. Try to imagine the movie HellRaiser too and it will make feel the fright). So instead thinking of ET ships crash landing and Area 51 reverse engineering the technology. Try to think instead Area 51 as opening doing experiments that opened some portals or dimensional gateways (or interbrane passage ways) which let in what we thought were ETs but not actually. Any novel or movies along this thought?

Do you know of other flicks about experiments that open dimensional gateways to Hell or braneworld with hellish creatures (like Hellraiser)? Hellboy is one, Event Horizon, what else is there? This is what can scare me. I'm tired of Halloween killers, What You Did Last Summer thing, and ordinary horrors.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a beautiful movie everyone should watch :smile:

1617719633379.png

• Haha
Likes DennisN and Rive
@phinds - do those graphics mean good, bad or indifferent?? 15% trash? :smile:

43% of critics liked it enough not to pan it. 15% of audience members liked it enough not to trash it (the implication being that 85% of folks who watched it didn't like it). It's from Rotten Tomatoes. The graphic seems backwards to me, but that's what it means.

EDIT: OK, I had forgotten. Mostly good reviews get "fresh" (tomato) as below and lots of bad reviews and the graphic is a rotten tomato as above. For audience reviews, lots of bad ones and the grapic is a trash can and lots of good ones get a full popcorn bag.

1617736810152.png

I've seen movies w/ an even lower score, but 15% audience is really bad. Usually the audience reviews are better than the critical reviews.

Last edited:
Lopsided critic/audience scores tend to indicate a high-brow, ambitious, auteurish flick. Likely French, definitely subtitled. The kind that wins high accolades at Cannes, and takes 40k on the opening weekend in the US.
I mean, I haven't watched Doom: Annihilation, but I'm just saying. :P

The books by Clive Barker on which Hellraiser was based, (The Hellbound Heart, The Scarlet Gospels and Hellraiser: The Toll) were better than the film I thought.

No dimensional portal, but in some ways an even more unsettling concept underlies The Descent which is a pretty scary film. I haven't read the book of the same name which seems to be very similar, although I understand it is not connected to the film. On similar lines of course are the Morlocks in The Time Machine, the 1960 version of which certainly scared me although I must have been about 10 years old when I first saw it (no that was not on first release).

phinds said:
I've seen movies w/ an even lower score
Oh, there's definitely movies with lower scores...
Here's one which has not got any "Tomatometer score" at all :biggrin: (though it does have a 19% audience score): http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/highlander_the_source

new6ton said:
Do you know of other flicks about experiments that open dimensional gateways to Hell or braneworld with hellish creatures (like Hellraiser)?
Yes I do. I saw one a couple of years ago. Why, oh, why? The horror, the horror, not from becoming afraid from watching the movie, but the horror of wasting my time. :biggrin: It was so bad and forgettable, that I regrettably do not remember the name of the movie. It was something about a research site where they could open portals to summon demons or something. 99% of the movie was filmed in really boring underground locations, the acting was non-present and the story was thin like a paper and quickly forgotten. :smile:

Last edited:
new6ton said:
Do you know of other flicks about experiments that open dimensional gateways to Hell or braneworld with hellish creatures (like Hellraiser)?
On a more positive note than my previous post, there is actually one movie of this type (sort of) I quite liked, though it's not about experiments, but an existing gateway from which monsters come. I was very surprised that I liked it, because it's not really my kind of movie: Pacific Rim (2013). I found it very entertaining, it had a certain charm and was apparently made by people that were very enthusiastic about "Godzilla/Transformers" kinds of movies.

In short: it's not the story or setting that caught me, it was how the movie was delivered. And it's not a horror movie, it's a massive large scale SF action movie.

Trailer:

1. What is Pacific Rim about?

Pacific Rim is a science fiction film that takes place in a future where giant monsters, known as Kaiju, have emerged from a portal in the Pacific Ocean. To combat these monsters, humans have created giant robots, called Jaegers, to fight them.

2. Is Pacific Rim scientifically accurate?

No, Pacific Rim is not scientifically accurate. While the concept of giant robots and monsters may be based on real scientific principles, the technology and events depicted in the film are not currently possible.

3. What did you think of the special effects in Pacific Rim?

The special effects in Pacific Rim are visually stunning and add to the overall epic feel of the film. The CGI used to create the monsters and robots is impressive and brings the action scenes to life.

4. Is Pacific Rim appropriate for all ages?

Pacific Rim is rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and some language. While the violence may be too intense for younger viewers, older children and teenagers may enjoy the film.

5. Will there be a sequel to Pacific Rim?

Yes, a sequel titled Pacific Rim: Uprising was released in 2018. It continues the story from the first film and introduces new characters and monsters.