1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doomsday equation help

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    P: Let c be a positive number. A differential equation of the form: dy/dt = ky^(1+c)

where k is a positive constant, is called a doomsday equation because the equation in the expression ky^(1+c) is larger than that for natural growth (that is, ky).

(a) Determine the solution that satisfies the initial condition y(0)=y(subzero)

(b) Show that there is a finite time t = ta (doomsday) such that lim(t->T-) wy(t) = infinity

(c) An especially prolific breed of rabbits has the growth term ky^(1.01). If 2 such rabbits breed initially and the warren has 16 rabbits after three months, then when is doomsday?

2. Relevant equations

integration

3. The attempt at a solution

First i wanted to find solution to the dy/dx (meaning i integrated it)

I got y^c = -c(kx+T)

but i could not define it as function y because of the negative sign in front of C

What should i do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you mean by "solution to the dy/dx." There is no x in this problem, so it doesn't make sense to talk about dy/dx. And maybe you are using "dy/dx" as shorthand for differential equation, which is needlessly confusing.
    Your solution above is incorrect, and not only because you have x instead of t.

The differential equation dy/dt = ky1+c is separable. Your next equation should be dy/(y1 + c) = k dt. Integrate both sides. What do you get?

4. Jan 30, 2010 #3
    sorry what i meant by dx or x were dt and t
    i apologize for that confusion.
    so starting from dy/(y1 + c) = k dt
    If i integrate that, 1/(1-1-c)y^(-1-c+1) =kt + T (upper case T is the constant)
    -c^(-1)*y^(-c)=kt+T
    I got y^(-c)=-c(kt+T)

what am i doing wrong?

5. Jan 30, 2010 #4
    Not knowing how to isolate Y by getting rid of that the exponent, -c, i decided to plug in the initial condition to define the constant T.

at t=0, y^(-c)=-c*T
    A(initial)^(-c) =-cT
    Therefore, T= ((A(initial)^(-c))/(-c)

6. Jan 30, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Looks fine so far. You can simplify it some more, though.
    [tex]y^{-c} = -c(kt + T)[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{y^c}= -(ckt + cT)[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow y^c= \frac{-1}{ckt + cT}[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow y = y(t) = \left(\frac{-1}{ckt + cT}\right)^{1/c}[/tex]

Now use your initial condition that y(0) = y0 and continue from there to parts b and c of your problem.

7. Jan 30, 2010 #6
    so at t=0, ((-1)/(cT))^(1/c) =A initial

-1/(cT) = A (initial)^c
    T = -1 /(cA^c)

after substituting that for the constant T, i get, y(t) = (-A^c)/((A^c)*(kt)-1)

you can see that at t=1/k, as t approaches T from the negative side, the y value approahces infinity
    does this answer part b?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook