Doppler and winds effct on it?

• Thread starter HappMatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doppler
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact of wind on the Doppler effect. Initially, it is believed that wind would not have a noticeable effect due to the high velocity of sound. However, it is then considered that the movement of the listener towards or away from the sound source could affect the sound. It is suggested to take into account the wind speed when calculating the Doppler effect. Further discussion brings up the concept of reference frames and the potential impact of wind on the listener's perspective. Ultimately, it is concluded that wind does have an impact on the Doppler effect, as the medium is moving.
HappMatt
Im trying to find the ansewr to an extra credit question in class. We are studing the doppler effect and the question came up does wind effect the sound you hear. At first i was thinking that it might but since the velocity of sound is so much greater than that of wind that you would notice no notable effect. The i thought to myself that if I am walking toward or away from the soure that effects the sound and i know my walking isn't that fast so I am sortof lost here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just add/subtract the wind speed into the sound source speed.

EDIT -- I guess I should have done the math first. Think about the reference frames. In the case of a wind blowing from the moving object towards the listener, there is a reduced Doppler shift with respect to the blowing wind's moving reference frame, but then what happens at the listener? And there is an analogous situation for a wind that flows from the listener to the sound source. Interesting.

Last edited:
Yea, i would have to agree that wind definitely has an impact ont eh doppler effect, afterall, the medium is moving.

The wind doesn't alter the doppler effect. Not a steady wind anyhow. It's as if both you and the source of sound are moving together through still air at the speed of the wind.

1. How does the Doppler effect work?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon where there is a change in frequency of a wave (such as sound or light) due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. When the source and observer are moving towards each other, the observed frequency increases and when they are moving away from each other, the observed frequency decreases.

2. How does the Doppler effect affect sound waves?

The Doppler effect affects sound waves by causing a change in the perceived pitch of the sound. If the source of the sound is moving towards the observer, the sound waves are compressed and the pitch is perceived to be higher. If the source is moving away from the observer, the sound waves are stretched and the pitch is perceived to be lower.

3. How is the Doppler effect used in weather forecasting?

The Doppler effect is used in weather forecasting to measure the speed and direction of wind. Doppler radars emit electromagnetic waves that bounce off precipitation particles in the atmosphere. The frequency of the waves received back by the radar is then analyzed to determine the speed and direction of the wind.

4. What is the difference between the Doppler effect and the Doppler shift?

The Doppler effect refers to the change in frequency of a wave due to relative motion between the source and observer. The Doppler shift, on the other hand, refers to the change in frequency of electromagnetic waves (such as light) due to the relative motion between the source and observer. The Doppler shift can also be applied to sound waves, but the term Doppler effect is more commonly used for sound waves.

5. Can the Doppler effect be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be applied to all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves. Any wave that has a frequency can be affected by the Doppler effect when there is relative motion between the source and observer.