Understanding the Properties of Dot Product: Is it Truly Associative?

In summary: This is a more abstract and more advanced concept than the "inner product", but if you are using the "outer product", you may want to think about this.
Apteronotus
If you look up dot product in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product" , under 'properties' it states the following:

"The dot product is not associative, however with the help of the matrix-multiplication one can derive:
[tex]
\left(\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b}\right) \vec{c} = \left(\vec{c}\vec{b}^{T}\right)\vec{a}
[/tex]"​

I simply don't see how this can be true for any vector [tex]\vec{c}[/tex]. Is it?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Apteronotus! :smile:

cTb is a scalar, c.b, but cbT is a matrix.

(cbT)a = ∑∑(cbT)ijajei
= ∑∑cibjajei
= (∑bjaj)∑ciei = (b.a)c :smile:

cTb, the dot product, is often called the "inner product" and is a scalar while bcT is called the "outer product" and is a matrix.

Thank you both for your replies. But I still think there may be a problem.
Consider three vectors [tex]\vec{a}, \vec{b}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{c}[/tex], where

[tex]\vec{a}=\left[a_{1}, a_{1}, a_{3}\right][/tex]
[tex]\vec{b}=\left[b_{1}, b_{1}, b_{3}\right] [/tex]

and
[tex]\vec{c}=\left[c_{1}, c_{1}, c_{3}\right][/tex]

then
[tex]
\left(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}\right)\vec{c}=\left(a_{1}b_{1}+a_{2}b_{2}+a_{3}b_{3}\right)\left[c_{1}, c_{1}, c_{3}\right]
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\left(\vec{c}\vec{b}^{T}\right)\vec{a}=\left(c_{1}b_{1}+c_{2}b_{2}+c_{3}b_{3}\right)\left[a_{1}, a_{2}, a_{3}\right]
[/tex]

Now these vectors are not necessarily equal. Consider the first element of each.
It is clear that in general,

[tex]
\left(a_{1}b_{1}+a_{2}b_{2}+a_{3}b_{3}\right)c_{1}\neq\left(c_{1}b_{1}+c_{2}b_{2}+c_{3}b_{3}\right)a_{1}
[/tex]

Apteronotus said:
[tex]
\left(\vec{c}\vec{b}^{T}\right)\vec{a}=\left(c_{1}b_{1}+c_{2}b_{2}+c_{3}b_{3}\right)\left[a_{1}, a_{2}, a_{3}\right][/tex]

But tcbT is not (c1b2+c2b2+c3b3) …

it's a matrix.

Specifically, it is the matrix
[tex]
cb^T = \begin{bmatrix}
b_1 c_1 & b_2 c_1 & b_3 c_1 \\
b_1 c_2 & b_2 c_2 & b_3 c_2 \\
b_1 c_3 & b_2 c_3 & b_3 c_3
\end{bmatrix}.
[/tex]

Last edited:
Yes! Thank you both very much.
My error was in taking the vectors as row vectors.
Thanks again,

This is more abstract and more advanced than the "inner product" but if you are using the "outer product", you may want to think about this.

The "dual" of a finite dimensional vector space, V, (the space of linear functionals from V to the base field) is isomorphic to v with a "natural" isomorphism: given a basis [itex]{e_1, e_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, e_n}[/itex], map each basis vector [itex]e_i[/itex] to the functional, [itex]f_{e_i}(v)[/itex] that maps [itex]e_i[/itex] to 1, all other [itex]e_j[/itex] to 0. Then extend it to the entire space by "linearity": if [itex]v= a_1e_1+ a_2e_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot a_ie_i+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_ne_n[/itex], [itex]f(v)= a_1 f(e_1)+ a_2f(e_2)+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_if(e_i)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nf(e_n)[/itex][itex]= a_1(0)+ a_2(0)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_i(1)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_n(0)= a_i[/itex].

Since that is an isomorphism, given any vector u, that isomorphism maps it to f_u(x). Given any two vectors, u, and v, the functional f_u(v) takes v to the real number [itex]u\cdot v[/itex], their dot product as defined in that particular basis. On the other hand "[itex]v f_v(x)[/itex] can be interpreted as a linear transformation that maps each vector , w, into the vector [itex](f_v(w))u[/itex] an numeric multiple of u. If we agree to write vectors as column matrices, say
[tex] v= \left[\begin{array}{c}a_1 \\ a_2\\ \cdot \\ \cdot \\ \cdot \\ a_n\end{array}\right][/tex]
and functionals in the dual space as row matrices, say
[tex]f_u= \left[\begin{array}{ccccc}b_1 & b_2 & \cdot\cdot\cdot & b_n\end{array}\right][/tex]
Then the operation of the functional, [itex]f_u[/itex] on v is the matrix product
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccccc}b_1 & b_2 & \cdot\cdot\cdot & b_n\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c}a_1 \\ a_2\\ \cdot \\ \cdot \\ \cdot \\ a_n\end{array}\right][/tex]
while the linear transformation corresponding to [itex]v f_u[/itex] is give by the matrix product

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{c}a_1 \\ a_2\\ \cdot \\ \cdot \\ \cdot \\ a_n\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{ccccc}b_1 & b_2 & \cdot\cdot\cdot & b_n\end{array}\right][/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product or inner product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and adding them together.

What are the properties of the dot product?

The properties of the dot product are commutativity, distributivity, and associativity. This means that the order of the vectors does not matter, the dot product can be distributed over vector addition, and the dot product of multiple vectors can be calculated in any order.

How is the dot product useful in physics and engineering?

The dot product is useful in physics and engineering for calculating work, energy, and projections of vectors onto other vectors. It is also used in determining angles between vectors and determining if two vectors are perpendicular or parallel.

What is the difference between the dot product and the cross product?

The dot product and the cross product are both mathematical operations involving vectors, but they produce different results. The dot product produces a scalar quantity, while the cross product produces a vector quantity. Additionally, the dot product is commutative, while the cross product is not.

How is the dot product related to the cosine of the angle between two vectors?

The dot product is related to the cosine of the angle between two vectors through the formula: A · B = |A||B|cosθ, where A and B are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them. This formula allows us to calculate the dot product using the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.