Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dotless i and j

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm wondering how to get dotless i and j in LaTeX on the forums. For some reason, \i and \j don't work for this. I can use \imath and \jmath, and I can even get carets on them to represent unit vectors:

[tex] \hat{\imath}, \hat{\jmath} [/tex]

The only remaining problem is that I can't get them to be typeset in boldface and upright as vectors traditionally are. If I do this hack:

[tex] \hat{\textbf{$\imath$}}, \hat{\textbf{$\jmath$}} [/tex]

then I can get them boldface, but still not upright. I think that the glyphs for \imath and \jmath are inherently italicized and there is no way to change this. Any suggestions for the OCD among us?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From
    http://groups.google.com/group/math...roup/mathjax-users/browse_frm/month/2010-11?&
    MathJax can use unicode...

[tex]\mbox{abcdefgh}\ \unicode{x0131}\unicode{x0237}\ \mbox{klmnopqrstuvwyz}[/tex]

You could define a macro for \i and \j
    [itex]\def\i{\unicode{x0131}} \i [/itex] [itex]\def\j{\unicode{x0237}} \j [/itex] (right-click show source)

then use it later
    [tex]\i i\mbox{i}[/tex] [tex]\j j\mbox{j}[/tex]

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, definitions that people make using \def are universal and permanent (or at least persist until some user gives the same macro a different definition)???

In any case, it still doesn't work:

[tex]\def\i{\unicode{x0131}} \hat{\mathbf{\i}} [/tex]

5. Nov 16, 2011 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How's this?

[itex]\def\ihat{\hat{\unicode{x0131}\!\!\unicode{x0131}}} \ihat [/itex] [itex]\def\jhat{\hat{\unicode{x0237}\!\!\!\unicode{x0237}}} \jhat [/itex]

[tex] 8\ihat + 6\jhat[/tex]

I suspect your \defs are local to your post.

6. Nov 16, 2011 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's very interesting! I just read that \! inserts a small negative space. So you have two unicode dotless i's slightly overlapping each other to produce a thicker one. It's very clever. Why the extra space for the j? Why not:

[itex]\def\jhat{\hat{\unicode{x0237}\!\!\unicode{x0237}}} \jhat [/itex]

Ah. That's why. A line thickness problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook