Double derivative, really hard

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a calculus problem involving implicit differentiation and finding the second derivative. The student asks for step-by-step explanations and other users offer tips and suggestions. The general plan is to differentiate the equation twice and plug in the known values to solve for f''(2). The conversation also includes a discussion on the product rule and chain rule in differentiation.
ozzie6616
Okay so I have this calculus teacher who is crazy and gave us this problem on an exam. I don't know how to figure it out and I tried getting explanations but they were really hard and complicated.:confused: :confused: :confused: So here is the problem

x^2 [f(x)]^4 + xf(x) = 6

f(2) = 1 Find f''(2)

I would most greatly appreciate it if someone showed me how to solve the problem step by step.
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ozzie,
I hope you know how to differentiate using the product rule and chain rule, because those are the only things you need to solve the problem. Try that out and report any difficulty you might have.

I assume it is meant to differentiate the equation first one; from that determine f'(2), and then differentiate again and determine f''(2).

that looks like it requires some implicit differentiation, which i haven't encountered since calc I, so i don't really know how to do that one.

neutrino said:
Hi ozzie,
I hope you know how to differentiate using the product rule and chain rule, because those are the only things you need to solve the problem. Try that out and report any difficulty you might have.
Is one method preferable to the other?

dimensionless said:
Is one method preferable to the other?
Both are required.

yes it does require implicit differentiation. I have gone through the first step to find the first derivative, however when I get stumped when finding the second derivative.

This is how far i got and I don't know if its right.
2x[f(x)]^4 + 4[F(x)]^3[f'(x)]x^2 + f(x) + f(x) + f'(x)x=0

Now I don't know what to do next.

ozzie6616 said:
yes it does require implicit differentiation. I have gone through the first step to find the first derivative, however when I get stumped when finding the second derivative.

This is how far i got and I don't know if its right.
2x[f(x)]^4 + 4[F(x)]^3[f'(x)]x^2 + f(x) + f(x) + f'(x)x=0

Now I don't know what to do next.

There is an extra f(x). Now substitute x = 2 and f(2) = 1 to find f'(x). And differntiate the above equation once more to get one the expression for f''(x). Plug-in the known values at x=2 and find f''.

so, the general plan is:
-differentiate once with respect to x
-evaluate the expression @x=2
-solve for f '(2)
-differentiate again with respect to x
-evaluate the new expression @x=2
-solve for the only unknown f ''(2)

a tip:

d/dx[ f(x)^4 ] = 4*f '(x)*f(x)^3

so the first derivative should be:

x^2*4*f '(x)*f(x)^3+2x*f(x)^4+x*f '(x)+f(x)=0

that is using the product rule on both terms of the original equation.

to further understand the differentiation of a general function f(x)
take careful note that: d/dx[f(x)]=f '(x)*d/dx(x)
so for example d/dx[ f(x^2) ]= f '(x^2)*2x

What is a double derivative?

A double derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a derivative. In other words, it is the rate at which the rate of change of a function is changing.

Why is a double derivative considered "really hard"?

A double derivative can be challenging because it involves taking the derivative of a derivative, which can be a complex and time-consuming process. It also requires a strong understanding of calculus and advanced mathematical concepts.

What is the notation used for a double derivative?

The notation for a double derivative is f''(x) or d2y/dx2. This indicates that the function is being differentiated twice with respect to the independent variable x.

What are some real-world applications of double derivatives?

Double derivatives are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze the rate of change of various phenomena. For example, in physics, double derivatives are used to calculate acceleration and in economics, they are used to calculate marginal cost and revenue.

What are some strategies for solving problems involving double derivatives?

Some strategies for solving problems involving double derivatives include using the chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule to simplify the function before taking the derivative. It is also important to understand the properties and rules of derivatives, such as the power rule and sum and difference rules, to efficiently solve problems.